Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
Mausey
AMCF Host

Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Mausey » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:48 am

This is sort of a tongue in cheek question but ignoring the zombies and considering what is happening around the world, are you ready to self contain for 2 weeks? I was watching tv and seeing people carting their weight in toilet paper out of warehouse stores got me thinking, besides the obvious of who in hell needs that much toilet paper!! :lol: So hubby and I did a quick run through of what we had on hand. Other than milk, eggs, fresh fruit and veg we figured we have more than enough for 3 adults for almost 6 weeks. :o I have lots of canned and frozen fruit as well as some frozen veg. So other than some milk powder, we're set.

For some background as to why I have so much food on hand. I grew up on a farm 20 miles from the closest store and many times we got snowed in for a couple weeks at a time. We'd get a phone call that the highway had been plowed, as in one narrow lane open with some wide spots in case you met somebody. Dad would bundle up, get the toboggan and the snow mobile out and head cross country to the highway where he'd meet a friend who managed to dig his truck out and he with several other guys would head to town to pick up what they could manage. To this day, I don't remember what he was getting at the store. Being on the farm we always had a large variety of meats and mom canned like mad all fall so we had fruit, jam, pickles etc. We had a milk cow and chickens so it couldn't have been that. But those days made an impression and now I get twitchy if I don't have at least 2 weeks of supplies on hand. And yes, I also have a large package of toilet paper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

McCarron2

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by McCarron2 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:53 pm

As you know I work in Costco for CDS doing demonstrations. Two Fridays ago the gossip was that Northern Virginia Costcos were out of toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, masks, plastic gloves, etc. Any brand. Last Sunday my Costco ran out of toilet paper but got a shipment in on Monday.

Friday morning my boss called and said CDS had closed demonstrations until further notice. But out of the goodness of their hearts, Costco and CDS got together and arranged for the regular CDS employees to work for Costco in the store, wiping carts, food court tables, freezer handles, or whatever was needed and didn't need special training. I folded clothes for three hours. I had watched the regular girls do it and admired how swiftly and easily they did them. Forget it. There is nothing easy about it. Ask my legs, shoulders, arms and wrists. I realized after I got home, I ached. We are working our regular shifts and I think it was wonderful of Costco and CDS to make those arrangements. I really look forward to going to work, seeing and talking to people and the money always helps. LOL I do not go in today as I have to go to a funeral, but I will go Sunday and wonder what I will do. What fun. Something different.

So hope everyone stays well. Writes on this site. Gives us some gossip.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Well, assuming that the power stays on, we'd be good. But we're all electric, and on a well. You never stop to consider your water source until the electric goes out. I do have a generator, but it's been so long since it was needed that the battery's shot. Needs a new one. It's a very special item that will take some searching for. I tried jumping it off the car and it would crank and try to start, but wouldn't quite catch and stay running.

But even if it was running, it takes about 5 gallons of gas a day, minimum, if you don't run it 24/7. So I'd still have to go out searching for fuel after a day or 2. At least it's heavy duty enough to run everything, as long as 2 major appliances start up at the same time. Starting draw voltage is higher than running voltage. So if the power's been off a bit and I start the generator and the well pump and say a water heater both try to start at the same time, it trips the breaker on the generator.

I also have an automatic switch that I plug the generator into that disconnects the system from the electric line so that it doesn't back-feed up the power lines and kill a power company employee working on a broken line.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:17 pm

By the way, speaking of toilet paper, we have a Sam's Club membership. Their house brand of things is "Member's Mark" or something like that. They have a toilet paper that is every bit as good as Charmin in a bulk pack, 5 packages of 9 rolls each, so 45 big rolls (like double or triple rolls) for $23. Just went up to that price from $20, but still a great bargain. Same with their house brand paper towels. Direct comparison to Bounty, at a big savings. The savings on those two items alone pay for our yearly membership fee.

But even though Sam's is a Walmart affiliate, they don't have the Walmart items, like Ol Roy dog food for instance. My big dog needs high protein, high fat dog food, so it's still Wally World for that.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:06 pm

We also have a generator, with a new battery. Turns out ours was shot as well but it was easy to replace. I'm not much worried about loosing power and water for any length of time, other than the normal winter/frost taking a line down.

The town is having their semi annual emergency preparedness exercise on the 14th so there are notices up reminding people to have 72 hours of food and water as well as meds on hand. I'm always surprised at how many people say they're good until they get asked to list what they have on hand. I have nothing against hot dogs but 6 wieners and a couple cans of soup won't keep a family fed very long.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Our Costco In Newport News, VA has run out of toilet paper twice that I know of, every brand, they usually get some in the next day, but what in the world do people need all of that toilet paper for. They must use it to blow their nose, dust, etc. Can't think why they would think they would need that much. I am only there on the weekends unless I run out of half and half, so maybe they run out more often. I started to suggest corn cobs and Sears catalog pages, but I am so old and they are so young, they probably wouldn't know what I was talking about. Weird old lady. LOL.

Pollen has arrived. Only tree so far but the yellow is showing up on the cars. Seems early to me but this weather this winter has been strange. Not very cold, only a scattered 30'sF, maybe two or three weeks out of the winter, no consecutive cold snaps. 40's one day, 70's the next. Bugs will be heavy this year I am afraid. Not that I spend a lot of time outside, but I feel for those who love it.

Locally we are worrying about the ocean's rise. I live on a peninsula, one side the York River and the other the James River, with the Chesapeake Bay catching them. Parts of Newport News and Hampton have always had flood problems at high tide and storms, but it is getting worse with a lot of federal and military property in danger. Oh, well, only the locals seems to worry about it, our Head of Government doesn't seem to.

Keep well everyone. All of us over 60 need to be careful. My doctor says it hits us harder then the younger ones and we are more inclined to get very ill or die. Great news. Otherwise He says I am healthy and in good health. All tests were fine. I believe him, I believe him. Fingers crossed. LOL

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 pm

People are completely nuts. I'm in a small town, about 2700 people or thereabouts and while a few things were getting a bit harder to find the 2 stores had their regular stock. We went in a couple days ago to pick up a gallon of milk and it looked like the place had a pack of starving wolves go through. Not a package of pasta of any kind, potatoes, onions, milk and eggs completely gone. Most of the soup, frozen fruits and veg, fish, french fries etc, gone Turns out some people from the city had shown up and as there were no limits other than toilet paper and some cleaning supplies, they took everything. Two of them even got in a fight over some of the stuff. As a result, both stores now have hard limits on how much people can buy every day. The stores will be restocked soon as they get trucks in 3 times a week, but still... I understand people are worried but to be that ignorant boggles my mind.

As a second result, both stores now have a policy that the first hour they open every day is for seniors and people with mobility issues. They get a clean, restocked store which I think is awesome.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:31 pm

As of Monday, all town run buildings, except the Town Office, are closed until further notice, including the library. :o Thankfully, I have a key and can run down and restock if my reading material gets low. The police have locked the front door and posted several phone numbers if people need to get hold of them. Almost every store and business have signs up telling people with colds not to come in, phone and they will make arrangements. People are still out and about but being very careful with social distancing and staying 6 feet apart when chatting. All the schools are closed until further notice and kids/parents have been given lists of on-line resources and they hope classes will resume on-line soon. One small glimmer is Mother Nature is helping keep people inside as it's cold and snowing, again. :lol:

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:28 pm

Meanwhile, at the other end of the world, all that toilet-paper and panic buying nonsense is going on here too. Latest news headline: "NZ has 11 new coronavirus cases, 39 in total. The news comes as supermarkets plead for shoppers to be sensible." That includes 4 or 5 in hospital and no deaths.

Our family has come to the conclusion that "stupid" is more contagious than "Corona." What will they do when it gets to the stage when there really is something to panic about?

I have a regular lunch date with my daughter-in-law on Fridays. Today we found the perfect place to practice our social isolation - we went to our usual restaurant and were met by a row of completely empty tables and a swarm of staff who were anxious to serve us.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:23 pm

I went to the store yesterday and the shelves were almost bare. All of meat except ribs and chicken (fresh) were gone. I heard Costco is only letting 25 people in at a time. the Hearing Aide people and Eye Glass people are on furlough. Truck loads of paper products come in and are gone in a few hours.
Funny, in the store, cans of soup were in full supply. I would think they would go fast. I heard that the people can have food delivered for $10. Great for the elderly who ride the buses.

I am now a reduction in force. My boss is worried about my age and the virus for any of us over 65. I applied for Unemployment Compensation yesterday. Don't know if I will get it. Never had to do it before. But no one hires someone my age. But the bills keep coming. Feel so sorry for those with families who are being laid off, with house payments, kids, car payment, etc.

Guess the Guy who is supposed to be running our country has finally decided that the virus is not a Democratic Hoax like he stated before. Woe is us.

Everyone stay well and let us hear that you are ok. Will say a prayer and cross my finger for all of us.