Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
Kosh

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Kosh » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:27 pm

The main thing with the masks is that nothing will stop the covid virus; it's too small. So the thing about stopping you spreading it if you sneeze or cough. Yeah, BS. Stop and think. The virus measures .05 microns at its biggest. The N-95 medical mask stops particles down to .2 microns, and it's the one that stops the finest stuff. So, the "science" they're preaching about protecting others if you sneeze or cough: The virus will attach to the moisture expelled and be trapped by the mask. Except for the part that escapes around the edges, since none are perfect-fitting airtight around the edges. Not to mention, right through the mask. Don't believe me? Would you believe a doctor? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPCgh4UkAU

Plus, I don't know how many people I've seen pull their mask down to sneeze, so they don't have that nasty expulsion on the inside of their mask. But assuming they don't, the matter will still be expelled into the air. So you wear a mask to prevent breathing that in? Remember, the virus will go right through anyway. And it takes less than 15 seconds from the first time you exhale through a fresh mask to begin building up moisture inside your mask. Moisture that is carrying everything nasty your body should be able to get rid of through exhalation. Now instead, it's trapped by the mask, so that you can inhale it right back in. Plus, if you inhale some covid virus, it can go right through, since the paper masks are NOT medical masks; they're DUST MASKS. Read the box. If the virus happens to get attached to moisture in the mask, then it lasts quite a length of time, to finally be detached and inhaled.

What about people like me and my wife, who have valid medical reasons to not wear a mask? When you make statements like you did, are you assuming you know better than our doctor, who instructed us not to wear a mask if at all possible (like, anywhere other than a much more sterile than normal, medical center/hospital environment)? Or, are you just assuming that the person you're condemning DOESN'T have a valid reason?

So many people claim they are wearing a mask to show how much they care about other people. Now. So many times (and I know McCarron ISN'T one of these) they're the very people who cared so much about others that they ran right out and bought huge amounts of all those items to hoard, depriving the others of things like toilet paper, disinfectant, baby wipes and formula, and so on. NOW they CARE!

Places that deny entry to people who cannot (or will not) wear a mask (like Menard's) claim they have the right to refuse service to anybody. Even when that puts them in clear violation of ADA and HIPPAA regulations? Which state, by the way, that the business cannot even legally ask what the medical reason that I cannot wear a mask is. Even asking is an attempt to violate doctor/patient confidentiality. Under ADA, they are supposed to make "reasonable accomodations" for a disability. Menard's refuses to do so. So I haven't been a Menard's (one of my favorite stores) for months now, since they instituted that policy.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:13 am

I clicked on your address. Also there were other sites on the same page, that said the very opposite of the guy you mentioned. Couldn't find his MD references. Anyhow, in Virginia, the new cases are way down since the Governor said wear masks. Of course, I am waiting to see if there is an explosion after Labor Day when people rushed to the beach and the colleges had big parties. Most of those didn't wear masks so we shall see. So far no explosion. Still think masks help. So we can agree to differ. Just hope you and your wife stay well and healthy.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:56 pm

A spectacular demonstration but he misses the point entirely. 1 - you wear the mask to stop spreading the virus, not to stop getting it. "I protect you - you protect me." His experiment would be more valuable if he was blowing his vape at the mask from a distance of six feet and then seeing if the steam went through it. 2 - The wearing of the mask to stop an epidemic is not a heck of a lot of use by itself, it needs to be part of a larger plan which includes readily available testing and tracing of contacts, easy access to health care for everybody, "social distancing," people staying home if they are contacts and, at the moment, strict border controls. Which is how I can wander around the Capital City of my country without wearing a mask because there isn't any Covid here. I can't get home without it through, because we are required to wear them in the crowded conditions of public transport and I usually bus back up the hill. It's only this week that the busses have been running more than half full. In Auckland they do have stricter conditions because they have an active "cluster" of cases. So far, that's 177 people including one death, which could possibly be a chain reaction started by a single person. For comparison, we've had 24 deaths for a population of five million. Melbourne, Australia, with a similar population has had 700 deaths.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 pm

McCarron, I wear glasses too. If you have a mask with a metal strip in it, pinch it firmly down below the bony part of your nose and your glasses won't fog up so much. They do tend to slip when I look down.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 am

Thanks. I also press the metal strip over my cheekbones which helps a lot. Still when I get in my car. I take the darn thing off. Only me, myself and I ride in the car except once a week or so I take a lady to the doc or somewhere. Still we wear masks. Still waiting to hear from headquarters to see if they will take me back to work. The longer I stay out the more I worry about my stamina. Now that it is getting cooler will be able to take walks besides going around the parking square at the apartments. 280 steps around the square. Started with four rounds, have tried six and hope to keep going. Must stop being lazy. LOL

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:14 am

Vyon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:56 pm
A spectacular demonstration but he misses the point entirely. 1 - you wear the mask to stop spreading the virus, not to stop getting it. "I protect you - you protect me." His experiment would be more valuable if he was blowing his vape at the mask from a distance of six feet and then seeing if the steam went through it. 2 - The wearing of the mask to stop an epidemic is not a heck of a lot of use by itself, it needs to be part of a larger plan which includes readily available testing and tracing of contacts, easy access to health care for everybody, "social distancing," people staying home if they are contacts and, at the moment, strict border controls. Which is how I can wander around the Capital City of my country without wearing a mask because there isn't any Covid here. I can't get home without it through, because we are required to wear them in the crowded conditions of public transport and I usually bus back up the hill. It's only this week that the busses have been running more than half full. In Auckland they do have stricter conditions because they have an active "cluster" of cases. So far, that's 177 people including one death, which could possibly be a chain reaction started by a single person. For comparison, we've had 24 deaths for a population of five million. Melbourne, Australia, with a similar population has had 700 deaths.
I think you might have missed his point, since he is exhaling through the mask, showing the vapor flowing out of the mask as well as around it. Since, as you said, you are supposedly wearing the mask "to stop spreading the virus, not to stop getting it", then he is showing you would be spreading it. Early on, the experts said it can be airborne and viable a lot farther than 6 feet.

Regardless, the point still remains that so many people that were the first ones to run out and try to hoard everything for themselves or to sell for immense profit regardless of who their actions hurt are now the ones that wear a mask to show how much they care about others. Como se habla "hypocrite"?

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 am

Vyon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 pm
McCarron, I wear glasses too. If you have a mask with a metal strip in it, pinch it firmly down below the bony part of your nose and your glasses won't fog up so much. They do tend to slip when I look down.
one pun I saw was "Anyone who wears a mask while wearing glasses is entitled to condensation."

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 am

Kosh wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 am

one pun I saw was "Anyone who wears a mask while wearing glasses is entitled to condensation."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 pm

Kosh wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:16 am
Vyon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:00 pm
Sorry; that should have been "DUE condensation."

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:38 pm

I rather it said "Due compensation". LOL