Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
McCarron2

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by McCarron2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and went back to work. We wear masks and gloves and sterilize our carts, etc. every so often. I also have a plastic face shield which I wear when someone approaches with their mask lower than their nose or also their mouths or none at all. Sorry Kosh!! I was right. Use it or lose it. Worked two days on 6 hour shifts, thank goodness a day apart, thought I would die. Back and hips hurt like mad. If we didn't have an elevator at the apartment, I would have cried. Had a day off then worked a three hour shift and then a four hour shift. Did just fine. Was tired but that's ok. All the women say they hurt so bad when they came back after six months off. Boss is having problems getting workers to come back or get new ones, so may have to work more six hour shifts. Haven't done that in years.
Still it was so good to see so many familiar members who recognized me even with a mask and when they heard my voice. One of the girls said she couldn't recognize anyone with a mask on. I asked her "You don't recognize their eyes". I mean you can see a smile with a mask on by the eyes.
So everyone stay well and gab on this site.
Since I am no longer a secretary, I am having trouble with spelling. Use it or lose It. LOL

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Belonging to a membership club like Costco or Sam's Club, you sign a contract that specifies you will abide by their rules. We belong to Sam's. When we went, we wore masks for as long as we could stand them, then got out. Their loss, because we couldn't stay long enough to look for everything. Since it was a bit over 100 miles to get there, we simply shopped at other stores that didn't push the mask thing. Went to our favorite restaurant in Springfield, that sort of thing. So overall, it was Sam's loss, not ours...

Still haven't been to Menard's. Sooner or later, someone will report them for non-compliance of ADA regulations and I'll have the last laugh... again. And again, their loss (of revenue).

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:00 pm

We wear masks if that's the store policy and try to keep a bit of distance from other shoppers. We had to go to the city for a Dr. appointment so hit the Costco on the way out. Almost everybody there was wearing a mask and the store was providing them if you didn't have one. But if you said no, they didn't push it so I wasn't sure what their rules were. I found the masks my mother-in-law made are comfortable and can be worn for 2 or 3 hours without a problem. The disposable ones however seem to get damp and uncomfortable much faster.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:35 am

Episode "Does It Really Matter" of As The Insanity turns.

When I last posted in June the Walmart I work at was getting ready to start a 10 week refresh and remodel. And without a store manager since ours had left for another job leaving the store and company scrambling since he did not give 2 weeks notice. The good news there is we got a new manager two weeks in and the entire remodel went off without a hitch. People like me who have been there since day one both love and hate it. Love the fresh look for the store, but hate how many of the departments got moved or otherwise rearranged. However it looks like a new store which is the reason every Walmart is remodeled every 5-7 years depending on age and sales. And speaking of sales while we have slowed down slightly from our highs in mid-summer we will still meet our fiscal year projections sometime next month and we remain in the top 100 stores nationwide. This from a store that 3 years ago was being talked about as potentially being closed by next year. That won't happen now and it has all been due to changes in buying habits on Fort Wayne's southeast side. People started staying home in the neighborhood to shop even though there isn't much to buy at this end of town. However it has been noticed and even with the virus I'm noticing planning commission meeting notices all over the place. That includes the two big lots on either side of Walmart, Menard's, and The Public Safety Academy. I was beginning to think those three and the small stores in front of Walmart and Menard's were never going to get company.

When it comes to the virus I have nothing new. Family is still ok. I'm still fighting the good fight working with the public, but have finally reached my breaking point with all the call offs and am taking 12 days off at the end of the month. I'm the only person either associate or management who hasn't missed at least 10 days over the summer. I took two what I called mental health days and missed one when my stepdad had a scare with his heart.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 pm

You not only deserve some days off, you need them. Mental health and fatigue is important and just because you feel fine physically doesn't mean you're okay. Do you have a list of stuff to do around the house or will you just just park yourself in a comfy spot and relax?

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:41 am

A little of both actually. I've been pushing so hard that my arthritis has me so tight I can barely move some days. So the first five days I plan to grab the backpack full of books from the library that I have and just sit read and listen to music and let my muscles and joints relax. After that I plan to reorganize my bedroom.
Mausey wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 pm
You not only deserve some days off, you need them. Mental health and fatigue is important and just because you feel fine physically doesn't mean you're okay. Do you have a list of stuff to do around the house or will you just just park yourself in a comfy spot and relax?
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Our top Doctor keeps trying to get people to be a bit more attentative as the provincial numbers are going up. If we want to be able to have family or a Christmas gathering we have to get the numbers down now or face some very strict measures in a month or so.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:00 pm

I just want to gripe. At age 87, I get Shingles for the first time. About 50 years ago, I asked my Mother if I had had chicken pox, because I thought I remembered a few separate little things on my arms. etc. She said "No". I figured she knew better than I did, so I accepted the fact. Then at 87 it hit. I was so lucky. I didn't know I had them until I touched my side and I thought they were hives. I showed them at work and everyone said "Horrors, they are shingles". So I went to the doc and they were. Got a big purple pill and some other stuff. Never bothered me unless I forgot and put my hand on my hip. So lucky.

So being a good little girl, I decided I should get the shingles shot. Got the first one at the end of July. Woe is me. Waited four months or more for the second one and double woe is me. Had a short day Monday at work by accident and should of gotten my shot then, but did not think of it. Was concerned with election day. I had voted early but was taking some others to the polls. Got the shot Wednesday AM. Woe. Spent about 36 hours in bed either sleeping or just being there. Got up for a hour or two but just headed back to the bed. Arranged for a short day at work Friday, and was in some pain but better. Still having problems getting up and just want to stay in bed. I hate staying in bed. This time it wasn't as bad as the first time, but it left me mad, sad, tired, sleepy, hurting, and mad. At least they tell me I never had to take another shot.

Thanks for letting me let off steam. Don't want to do it at work or they will feel sorry for me and the boss might think of my age and think of letting me go and I love getting out and seeing people again.

At least I am blessed I haven't gotten the virus. Everyone stay safe and gab on this wonderful site like I do. LOL

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:28 pm

No active cases in our area at the moment but numbers are still going up elsewhere and restrictions are starting again in the cities and surrounding areas. :(

I got the dual shingles shots a couple years ago as well as the annual flu shot last week. I'm lucky and don't have any side effects but this year mom (84) had a reaction. Dad says she feels terrible and just wants to sleep.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 am

Only a single shot for shingles here. My Doctor offered it early last year and I remembered Mum's round with the shingles shortly after I went to look after her. Even with both Doctor's medicine and homeopathic medicine it was nasty and came back three or four times. Whether it stopped because she took the homeopathic medicine at the first sign of a return or whether it was going to stop anyway I don't know. I didn't get a reaction from the shingles shot and only a sore arm from this year's flu shot.