Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
Mausey
AMCF Host

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Mausey » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:10 pm

:lol: I don't hoard flour but as I bake a LOT I usually have 3 or 4, 25 pound bags of flour on hand. I also often have 20 pounds each brown and white sugar. I buy the compressed yeast in a 1 pound vacuumed bag so I'm good for quite awhile.

For some strange reason yesterday I had to make candied orange peel which left me with a couple cups of heavy orange flavoured syrup. I asked my cousins for suggestions and one was a poke cake, so that was today's creation. A vanilla cake poked full of holes while hot and slowly pour about a cup of the syrup over it. Let it soak in for a few minutes then flip onto a cake plate to cool and a glaze made with more of the syrup and icing sugar. Decorate with some of the candied peel and it looks awesome.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:08 am

Thanks Kosh we are all trying our best and when I went back after my days off my store is actually with only a couple of items excepted practically back to normal. Ramen noodles and toilet tissue are still very light and soup could use some filling up, but most everything else is at least respectable looking. My store also got some very good news for us we lead our 8 store market in sales for March by a quarter million beating a store that normally beats us by half a million. We also made our first quarter goal at noon Tuesday so the last half of the 31st of March and all of April is just building onto an insane quarter of sales. The other 7 stores are still 3 to 5 days from making theirs so we are looking at possibly being the top store in our market for the first quarter something that has never happened.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:03 pm

I can't help but wonder what on earth people are doing with all that toilet paper, even with the stores being restocked at least twice a week the shelves are still fairly barren in that dept. The only other item that's getting hard to get hold of here is pasta. Still lots of ramen but plain old pasta is moving fast.

Our area is still virus free and I'd like to keep it that way. Still too many people from out of town coming to shop and that's how we'll end up with it. I don't begrudge people needing groceries, goodness knows we hit the city and the Costco there but only for items we just cannot get here. The city stores are well stocked (I did an on-line check) people are shopping small communities as they think it's safer. :x

It's all the people who do the grunt work that are keeping things moving all over the world. The ones who usually get looked down on, truckers, store clerks, the cleaners etc. A huge shout out to all of them.

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:02 am

I won't say that things have gotten worse at my Walmart but it has turned into a real struggle for those of us who are cashiers. When things started we had 23 full time adult cashiers plus 7 who are under aged for sale of alcohol and cigarettes. We are down to 9 and 4 with people either out because they have called off due to fear or who have just quit. We are borrowing just about every non cashier who has cashier as a secondary assignment and are still just barely holding on. The other job codes that are assigned to the front end are not in much better shape with the exception of our asset protection people. We finished out our 1st quarter projected sales in very early April and are already at our May projected sales numbers. To put it bluntly our first quarter this year out did our fourth quarter last year and we are seeing absolutely no slowing down in any fashion. This store has already hit the point we will have the top sales in our market for April AND the first quarter and we've never done that. At this point we will make June's sales before the second week in May. Those of us who have been with the store since it opened are very proud but it has been a nightmare at the same time.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed May 06, 2020 1:37 am

It's been decided we can slowly start to relax some of the covid-19 restrictions we've had for the past 7 weeks. We had it pretty good here, other than the hairdressers, spas and that sort of business, many were able to stay open in some fashion. Every restaurant in town was open for take out, the grocery stores stayed well stocked etc. We could go out as we pleased as long as we maintained social distancing. While people are quite happy with the relaxation, it's also been made very clear that if the social distancing rules aren't followed there will be another shut down. Canada, as you know, is a fairly large country and as a result what's happening in one province is not happening in another. Some schools in Quebec will reopen in a week while in Alberta they won't be open until at least Sept. One place says hair dressers can open and another says no. It's really confusing because a hairdresser can cut your hair, but they can't go and visit a grandparent. Dentists and optometrists, while they have permission to open have said they won't until they get guidelines from their governing body.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Wed May 06, 2020 11:45 am

It is really confusing here also. Some states are doing more than others. Some people wear masks and others don't. Saw a line outside Costco and they were ignoring the yellow stripes painted six feet across. At my doctors' office, you call before you go in and they try to keep you separated from other patients. The nurses and doctors are wearing masks. So was I. You wonder about germs on clothes if someone sneezes or coughs near you. I have been fairly active but stay away and wear a mask. So far it is not as bad as the Black Death in Europe when half the population was killed. Course that helped end feudalism so who knows what is good or bad. Just wish the politicians would shut up and let the health organizations with their doctors try to get control. Stay safe everyone.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm

I guess I've just proved that my zombie apocalypse kit lasts about a week. I went to the smaller Metro supermarket today for a top-up shop and they were all behaving very well with their social distancing and staying behind the lines taped on the footpath outside. Not so the bus passengers on the way home. Some passengers were completely ignoring the red and green stickers on the seats and windows. Some, knowing that the trip was free weren't using their hopper card. That won't help the team that is trying to find out how many people are actually using the service so they know how many buses are needed.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Wed May 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Oh, and with the easing of our very strict lockdown terms which originally only had grocers, dairies and chemists open we now have drive-bys and click and collect transactions. The fad for hoarding toilet paper has been replaced by a panic over getting takeaways, with people queuing around the block in their cars for their Maccers or KFC fix.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:23 pm

Our local elections have been put off to May 19th instead of the 5th. One of my friends is a poll worker and she refused and many of her co-workers refused to work the polls. So I among many others will be going to a different place to vote. They say the two precincts will be separated and there will be social distancing. I am so nosy I am going. I am so tired to being (LOL) a good girl and staying home or away from people. I do go out to stores for food and books but keep my distance and wear a mask. All of my friends are so anxious to start playing bridge again but that seems to be one of the no-noes. We are to close together and handling the same cards. The state seems to be slowly opening some places more than others. I have been using my son's electric hair clippers. Like I told my friends I don't have to look at myself, just avoid mirrors. Others are the ones who suffer. Stay safe everyone. And start gabbing again.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 am

Compared to many places my little town had it pretty good. Yes the library, school, arena, community centre spas and bars were closed but all the restaurants had take out and delivery. The grocery stores and pharmacies were both open. The hardware stores, building supplies, agricultural stores were open as was a clothing store. Our post office was open and the banks were appointment only. People were strongly told to keep a social distance but we were also told to go outside and get in a walk or a bike ride. Compared to many places where you could only go out for grocery or medical we did okay.

Our restaurants now allow a very limited number of dine in patrons and the hair salons, barber shops and spa can now open as long as they follow some very strict guidelines. Some parks are open for camping but you must be self contained as no bathrooms or shower houses will be open. We have also been told very firmly that if the number of people in the hospitals or in ICU starts going up ( our chief medical officer had numbers but I couldn't remember them) we can expect to have the lock down come back in full force. They hope to have schools open in Sept but that's still an unknown as now it appears some kids are getting ill. :(