Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
McCarron2
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by McCarron2 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:31 am

Well, I figure as long as I have peanut butter, eggs and bread (which I can always make), I can last out. But the toilet paper is rough. It cannot be found. People are going to clog up the sewers using papers towels. Kleenex is bad enough. It doesn't dissolve like toilet paper so the City of going to be busy. Paper towels, napkins, wipes, etc. are gone and on lots of the meats it says one package only. Rationing wasn't this bad in World War II. Be glad when they get control of this mess.

User avatar
Vyon
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Vyon » Tue May 19, 2020 12:28 pm

The toilet paper panic didn't last long here thanks to teams of essential workers (a.k.a. shelf stackers) who worked all night to restock the supermarket shelves. Our problem wasn't supply, it was hoarders who were buying up stuff faster than it could be shipped out of the warehouses. There are still a few politicians around that haven't got it through their thick, entitled skulls that the so-called menial workers are more essential to the smooth running of society and keeping the economy going than they are.
It was also interesting to watch the road outside as we went through several grades of lifting our lockdown. At first when we were in total lockdown there was virtually nothing on the road except some small orange trucks and the occasional bus. The trucks belonged to the people who were fixing city water pipes. Schools were closed and there was no retail except for supermarkets, grocers and dairies and chemist shops. It was very quiet except for the two days and nights that we had a continuous parade of heavy sludge trucks because the coastal road had been closed by huge waves.
We went from "level 4" lockdown to "Level 3" which meant that building sites woke up but retail, hospitality, schools and offices remained closed. The orange trucks were joined by a long parade of small vans, little trucks and utility vehicles. The kind of vehicles driven by tradies, small contractors and small businesses. Meanwhile the aforesaid politician was making huge noises about the immediate collapse of small businesses. In "level 2" school's back and retail is open with strict rules about social distancing. Many restaurants are open but bars are still closed. The road is almost back to normal and certainly the heavy demolition trucks are back. This road is the main route to our city's landfill dump. The politician has switched his attention to getting rid of "green tape" i.e. anything environmentally friendly in the rebuilding process.

User avatar
SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:52 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana USA

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sat May 23, 2020 3:36 am

Welcome to this episode of "As The Insanity Continues"

My store is first in our market, 10th in our region, and 30th nationally for sales. Considering this store normally sits down around the bottom third in sales things have been utterly insane. We're beating stores that have 5 times the population to draw from and doing it by a margin that is ridiculous to see. Plus we are doing it with a front end that is so short handed even the store manager has been putting in 2 or 3 hours a day ringing up customers. I've completely lost rack of where I am at in terms of sales rang through other than my usual first overall since I don't have time to keep track. When I mentioned it has been like "Black Friday" in terms of sales I didn't think it could get worse. It has.

We've been looking forward to our delayed remodel and now we don't want it to happen. It is going to disrupt the front end too much since we are getting a major redo for that area.About the only thing not moving is our pickup tower and I wouldn't guarantee that won't happen. For that matter with how much ours is used I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a second one. We are going from 12 registers to 7 and adding 5 or 6 belted self checks. At this point I'm the only cashier for sure that is not switching to self check. Since I'm senior to everyone in front in terms of time I can't be made to move. Which of course has angered a couple of people who have only been cashiers and been up front longer than me. However as they were told when it comes to seniority a three digit store employee number trumps a four digit store employee number. The only employee who can trump me doesn't want to be a cashier since it would be a step down.

Family wise things are normal here. My sisters are both alright as is my stepdad. My youngest niece has met a very nice young man and although they haven't set a date I hear wedding bells. Which would leave only my oldest niece unmarried and she doesn't want to be married. There is some speculation on the part of my co-workers as to whether or not I'm going to go against my own beliefs and let a younger co-worker catch me. I'm giving that one a definite maybe I do like her, but I'm not sure we have enough in common to make up for a 20+ year difference in age. On the other hand it has been fun being chased by her and I do like her daughter who likes me as well which is a plus.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

User avatar
Vyon
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Vyon » Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am

Self check - do you mean those automated checkouts? We've had them in all our supermarkets for a couple of years at least. They don't have operators, only one person supervising to make sure everyone is using them properly - and they don't do a full shop either, there's a limit to the number of things you can put through them. I usually pretend to be a technophobic old lady and refuse to use them because they seem to me to only be an excuse to have fewer people on the wage list. At the moment all the checkout operators are behind perspex shields and we have to pack our own groceries. I wouldn't be surprised if the shields stay after the Covid has gone. We only had one case in this country this week.
Meanwhile the entitled politician who thought it was essential for him to drive 500 kilometres to chair a zoom meeting while at the same time slagging off a member of the other party for driving two kilometres to the end of the road he lives on has lost his parliamentary position - he's been rolled by his own party and we have a new Leader of the Opposition. The new one is making much more positive noises. It remains to be seen whether they will be followed up by actions.

User avatar
Vyon
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Vyon » Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 pm

And doing much more to keep spirits up during lockdown than any politician - https://wellington.govt.nz/your-council ... ychwQlsRPE https://www.facebook.com/groups/1976829 ... &ref=notif That's only one of his facebook pages. Mittens is a Turkish Angora cat who likes to wander the entire CBD, going into any business or church that takes his fancy. He was supposed to be in lockdown like the rest of us, but one of his owner's children kept on letting him out. He did not adapt well to being an inside cat!

User avatar
SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:52 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana USA

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sun May 24, 2020 2:26 am

Yes the automated checkouts. We don't limit how many items you can put through them, but most people self limit. For instance the person I rang up today with three cartloads would never use the self-check. On the other hand I rarely see someone with one or two items. And most people with larger items or spider-wire* wrapped items will come through the regular registers.

We have a limited size shield on our registers and are wearing face masks. We still bag the customers items unless they want to use their own bags in which case they bag them.

* Spider-wire is a brand name and is a theft deterrent.
Vyon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am
Self check - do you mean those automated checkouts? We've had them in all our supermarkets for a couple of years at least. They don't have operators, only one person supervising to make sure everyone is using them properly - and they don't do a full shop either, there's a limit to the number of things you can put through them. I usually pretend to be a technophobic old lady and refuse to use them because they seem to me to only be an excuse to have fewer people on the wage list. At the moment all the checkout operators are behind perspex shields and we have to pack our own groceries. I wouldn't be surprised if the shields stay after the Covid has gone. We only had one case in this country this week.
Meanwhile the entitled politician who thought it was essential for him to drive 500 kilometres to chair a zoom meeting while at the same time slagging off a member of the other party for driving two kilometres to the end of the road he lives on has lost his parliamentary position - he's been rolled by his own party and we have a new Leader of the Opposition. The new one is making much more positive noises. It remains to be seen whether they will be followed up by actions.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

User avatar
SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:52 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana USA

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sun May 24, 2020 2:28 am

Cute kitty.
Vyon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 pm
And doing much more to keep spirits up during lockdown than any politician - https://wellington.govt.nz/your-council ... ychwQlsRPE https://www.facebook.com/groups/1976829 ... &ref=notif That's only one of his facebook pages. Mittens is a Turkish Angora cat who likes to wander the entire CBD, going into any business or church that takes his fancy. He was supposed to be in lockdown like the rest of us, but one of his owner's children kept on letting him out. He did not adapt well to being an inside cat!
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

McCarron2
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by McCarron2 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:00 pm

I just wish all the self-checkout counters would standardize. The differences aren't that much but if you are in a hurry, it's a pain to have to stop and think, this store does it this way and that store does it the other. I usually use it if I have five or six items. I know the names of the workers in my two or my stores so I do like to see and talk to them. One or two don't work the registers so I have to hunt the down to say hi and ask if everyone in their families are healthy.
Things are slowly opening up. I think our Governor is right to go slow. Those who protest probably haven't had anyone they know or love get sick or die. That fact will change their position. I have been lucky. No one I know or anyone I know have heard of a friend or relative getting sick. I do have a funny feeling about ones friends husband. Early in February he was treated for pneumonia and was in the hospital a long time. He still is having trouble getting his strength back. If he was mine, I would get him tested. In Feb. a lot of people and doctors didn't know about Covid-19. If he had it, a lot of his wife's friends played bridge, went to church, etc. with her. Oh, well, maybe she doesn't want to know. I'm nosy. LOL
Take care dear friends.

User avatar
SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:52 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana USA

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon May 25, 2020 3:14 am

What I've never mentioned to anyone is I had symptoms in early January that track with a moderate case of Covid-19 yet they say it wasn't in the US until March. I think if they look at some of the flu cases from late December/early January they will see it was here even earlier than that. My own doctor couldn't understand why I was feeling so bad and I definitely didn't have the flu he was able to rule that and pneumonia out.

McCarron2 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:00 pm
I just wish all the self-checkout counters would standardize. The differences aren't that much but if you are in a hurry, it's a pain to have to stop and think, this store does it this way and that store does it the other. I usually use it if I have five or six items. I know the names of the workers in my two or my stores so I do like to see and talk to them. One or two don't work the registers so I have to hunt the down to say hi and ask if everyone in their families are healthy.
Things are slowly opening up. I think our Governor is right to go slow. Those who protest probably haven't had anyone they know or love get sick or die. That fact will change their position. I have been lucky. No one I know or anyone I know have heard of a friend or relative getting sick. I do have a funny feeling about ones friends husband. Early in February he was treated for pneumonia and was in the hospital a long time. He still is having trouble getting his strength back. If he was mine, I would get him tested. In Feb. a lot of people and doctors didn't know about Covid-19. If he had it, a lot of his wife's friends played bridge, went to church, etc. with her. Oh, well, maybe she doesn't want to know. I'm nosy. LOL
Take care dear friends.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

User avatar
Vyon
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 10:16 pm
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by Vyon » Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 pm

This article states that the first official case arrived in Washington State some time prior to 17th Jan, https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1st-confi ... d=68430795 Other articles that I've read claim that there was at least one death prior to that in California and, like France and Britain, the US actually had cases by late last year. Here, the friend's husband would automatically be tested if there was any suspicion of Coronavirus.
Meanwhile, we have more than coronavirus to contend with. I live two kilometres away from the Beehive and I was most certainly rattled, while the cat totally freaked out. 5.8 is rather stronger than what I can get used to. It was a particularly noisy earthquake and threw some of my lighter decorations around though nothing was broken. I'm glad we have a Prime Minister who doesn't go to pieces when something unusual happens.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/25/asia ... index.html

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest