Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
McCarron2

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by McCarron2 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:55 pm

I have never really been in an earthquake. That I know of. One hit Virginia in the 90's, I don't think I really noticed it was so light, but my son stuck his head in the door and said "Was that an earthquake?" I just noticed a sort of a shiver not anything drastic like falling off walls or tables. You should be proud of your PM, Vyon, if it had been our President, he probably would have blamed it on the Democrats or said it didn't happen. LOL

Just to be difficult. there was a birthday today. Mine. I am 88. Hard to believe. But I enjoy life, friends, bridge, this lounge, the people in it, driving, working and having fun. Persons with dirty minds will notice there is a large silence about some enjoyments. LOL Oh, well, can't have everything.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Mon May 25, 2020 1:30 pm

I was in Alaska in the early 1970s, temporarily stationed at Elmendorf AFB. I was awaiting orders to go to a remote site, and at the particular moment, was enjoying some down time, laying on my bottom bunk reading a magazine. Then the whole bunk bed started slapping the wall. Another Airman was sitting in the room's chair, and when I looked at him, his eyes were the size of saucers it seemed. I realized that the whole 3-story building was shaking.

What do you do at a time like that? Run outside? Only to have the ground open up under you? Hide under the bed? Probably not the best idea either. About the best idea we had was to flap your arms real hard and fast and try your damnedest to fly.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Wed May 27, 2020 1:27 pm

What to do? As it happens, I was in bed, the earthquake woke me up and there wasn't anything that was going to fall on me. So I stayed there until the building stopped shaking. This is the official answer https://getready.govt.nz/emergency/earthquakes/ If you're outside try and get away from tall buildings, the beach and cliffs that might fall down. Both the Christchurch and Kaikoura earthquakes had cliffs and cliff-top buildings that were damaged and the Kaikoura earthquake broke windows and poured concrete floors and the ramps of parking buildings here in Wellington, although only one of them actually collapsed and that building was empty. The Kaikoura earthquake is the only one that I've been in that was strong enough to knock me over and I went outside that time, which isn't the best answer.

Going under the bed is not such a silly idea if there is an "under" and the bed's reasonably solid. I don't know about one that's rocking though. As a child I watched a narrow Victorian wardrobe "walk" as in it jiggled itself away from the wall. My bed here is a modern copy of an old Victorian iron bedstead. It is solid, I know, because the first thing I had to do when I moved into the flat was make it. As in, it was a flatpack and I had to assemble it. I got both of my big bookshelves from the local Salvation Army op-shop. They must have been built for Wellington because they have a foot or baseplate that is wider than the bookcase so they won't tip over. My bookcase in Tauranga was bolted to the concrete wall behind it, so I had to leave it behind. Anything valuable and fragile is stuck down with earthquake putty which is like very strong bluetack.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed May 27, 2020 9:10 pm

I am not a fan of the self serve check-outs and I have never had one that actually worked properly so always end up with somebody coming over to get it all straightened out.

We're doing pretty good in Alberta. We have a population of 4.41 million and currently there are 5 people in ICU, 45 in hospital and 714 active cases. Most of the store are open, with limitations of course. If you want to eat in there can be no more than 6 people at a table and they prefer everybody to be from the same house or with your bubble group. All tables are very spaced out and all staff must wear masks. In a bar/pub the waitstaff must bring your drinks. Menus are either a one time use or something you can scan with a phone. Salons and barber shops are open, again all spread out and no walk in, appointment only, and again all staff must wear a mask. Churches and other places of worship are open with limited seating. I'm still waiting to hear when the library will be open again. While I have a loaded Kobo, I miss paper books and have read all of mine over and over.

Happy Belated Birthday McCarron!!!!!!!!
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Thu May 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Only place I'll use a self checkout is at the army base commissary that is close to us. Since January, as a veteran with service-connected disability I've been allowed to use the AAFES Exchange and Commissary. In the commissary, if you use the regular check lanes, the person who bags your items is also a carry-out worker who works for tips only. They WILL take your groceries out and expect a tip, and get rude about it if it's not enough, even though they're not supposed to. Nope, didn't ask for it, didn't want it, so I'll put up with the machine not recognizing my VA ID card and usually end up needing the assistant twice to clear the machine. They're being paid for it.

I've avoided the Covid discussions because I don't want to offend anyone with my views. But I will point out a bit of history and fact. First, every year, influenza (which is, by definition, a coronavirus, look it up) kills on average over 60,000 people in the U.S. alone. No one panics. Second, no flu shot has ever been proven to be even 50% effective in preventing influenza. Next, anyone who has had a flu shot in the last 10 or more YEARS will test positive for coronavirus. Chances of positive test, over 85% if you've had the current flu vaccine, actually close to 100%.

Coronavirus measures no larger than .02 microns, typically measures .015 microns. The best mask, the much-vaunted N95, will only filter down to .05 microns. The paper masks won't filter paint spray particulate matter, been there, seen that. Put one on, spray paint in a closed area, step out, blow nose and see the paint color in your tissue. Cloth is even less effective.

Strange how it's too dangerous to go to church, but not to Walmart or anywhere else that's out of toilet paper. Strange how the bug can travel 6 feet in a straight line forward, but not sideways, or 12 inches from me, up and over a plastic barrier, 3 feet to a checker there, or at the pharmacy or liquor store.

In late 1968, the H3N2 virus, commonly called the Hong Kong Flu, started and ran through the winter of '69-70. It only got a slow start because its outbreak coincided with schools being out of session for the Christmas holidays. It killed over 100,000 people in the U.S. and well over 1,000,000 world-wide, some estimates say as high as 4,000,000. Did we shut down our economy, panic-buy, shelter in place under threat of arrest? Nope. In August of 1969, over 400,000 people gathered together on Max Yasgur's farm outside Bethel, New York for 3 days of peace and music. That's right. We held a party known as Woodstock. There were no "new peaks of outbreaks" and it continued to run its course and fade away into history.

IMHO, this is proof positive that the greatest weapon to control a population isn't firearms or bombs. It's fear. I fear a tyrannical government much more than any virus with a 99.8% survival rate. Ever wonder why one lone sheepdog can control a whole flock of sheep? Simple answer: through fear. "We have nothing to fear but fear itself." ~ Winston Churchill.

If you have lost someone to this disease, you have my sympathy. Just as you have my sympathy if you lost someone to cancer, heart failure, or any other disease. But no one builds up an immunity to any illness by hiding from it. You do your best to stay strong and fight it. I choose to be a wolf, not a sheep. "For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack." ~ Rudyard Kipling.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:20 am

thank You Mausey: It was nice this year, there were flags, virtual parades and all that stuff for my birthday. LOL Guess it pays to have it on Memorial Day,

I took my friend to the doctor, the one who was so ill. I couldn't believe it. She was bright eyed, speech good, swelling down, mind sharp, a completely different person from the last time I saw her. She went to Rehab from the hospital, where no one could visit her, and no one can visit her at the Rehab. She is quarantined in her room for 14 days, can't go in the hall and talk to anyone, and since she left to go to the hospital and a doctor's visit, she will be quarantined another 14 days. She said she was so glad to see me, someone who wasn't a doctor, nurse or nurse's aide. I told her she really made me feel special, LOL I even stopped at McDonald's and bought us a coke. It was the best I have had in awhile. Reminded me of the fountain cokes we used to get when I was a child and teen.
I agree with a lot of what Kosh is saying. Like I mentioned before the Black Death killed half of Europe. Before we only had newspapers and radio to tell us about this stuff, and sometimes I think the TV doesn't inform us as much as tries to scare us. The flu is always around and also deadly , that's why I get the shot. I didn't until I had my heart attack and all the docs raised cain when I questioned whether I should get it. Also I got the Pneumonia shot and the Supper Pneumonia shots caused they nagged so. Guess I shouldn't complain , I'm still here.
Please everyone stay healthy = and log and write on this site.

thank

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:38 pm

If the flu shot caused any "false positives" at all, we'd have had a lot more than 1500 confirmed and probable positive tests for Covid in a population of 5 million. Initial estimates that we would have up to 80,000 Covid cases if we took the same "herd immunity" path as Britain and Sweden were taking at the time led to a massive campaign to get the flu vaccine because we wouldn't have had the hospital capacity to cope with both. As a result, we'd had more than twice the usual uptake on flu vaccines before the normal annual vaccination season even started. Despite some initial problems with distribution the rate of flu vaccination has not gone down. Covid testing has also been massive, with mobile community testing stations distributed through some of the remote parts of the country as well as testing through normal medical venues. We used the swab test rather than the Abbot test which is notorious for false results. If there have been any false positives, it would be a minimal number in a comparatively small number of positive tests.
It remains to be seen whether the unusually huge number of flu vaccines makes much difference to the number of people admitted to hospital with flu this winter. So far, the numbers have been down, but that was attributed to our very strict lockdown and the social distancing. (!) Our nearest equivalent to Walmart was open, but was limited to selling groceries and bedding, because we're coming into winter. The lockdown was effective because we were able to do it before we had any widespread community transmission of the disease. It's been 10 days since we had a positive case.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:14 pm

I get a flu shot every year. Our flu season starts in the fall so Oct. for us. As I posted elsewhere, while I am all for vaccinations, I don't think I'll be first in line for a covid-19 one. I want something like that to be tested and not a panic rush job. There are too many things can go wrong and I don't fancy being a guine pig. :D

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:54 am

Episode who knows of "As The Insanity Continues"

We had our store manager transfer to a store in Indianapolis since he didn't want to transfer into this store to begin with and we got a really nice gentleman in as his replacement. Aaannd of course good things don't last and the replacement lasted 10 weeks before he accepted a store managers position with another company. Which leaves us busier than hell with a full store remodel starting tonight and no store manager. Oh and we are down three assistant managers as well. Oh this is going to be so much fun.
It is a good thing the team that goes from store to store making sure remodels and set ups go well have brought in extra members for their team due to our store size I don't think we could get done in ten weeks otherwise. When I say it is a full store remodel I mean every fixture is being replaced and the location of departments are being adjusted in minor increments. The back offices, break room, restrooms, front end offices and store fronts (except Subway) are being gutted and redone. And the floor is being diamond ground and resealed. TEN WEEKS for all of that in the heart of the summer sales season. About the only thing not happening is repainting that happened last fall. That's inside outside the parking lot is being repaved and re-lined and all of the lighting is being rewired due to damage from lightning and the bulbs replaced with new LED's. I'm not sure but I also believe we may be getting a new roof and replacement skylights. This store is not quite 14 years old and that is about average before they do a full refresh like this.

How are things doing with the pandemic? We still haven't slowed down, the people who are showing up are exhausted and are mad at the people taking advantage of Walmart's generosity on calling out, and we cant't hire enough people for relief from the madness.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:20 pm

How are things doing with the pandemic? We still haven't slowed down, the people who are showing up are exhausted and are mad at the people taking advantage of Walmart's generosity on calling out, and we can't hire enough people for relief from the madness.

I'm not sure what a calling out is.

Things are very slowly returning to a sort of normal. The pool will open for lessons, the swim club and lane swims but I'm not sure about the open or public swim. Salons and barbers are open with conditions. The museum will not open but they did get a grant to hire a couple students to mow the grass and help with some of the upkeep. There was a large survey of Albertans and the vast majority think it will get worse before it gets better, we're comfortable with keeping a social distance, wearing masks in crowded public places and working from home. The survey also was loud and clear that anybody returning home or coming in for work from anywhere should self isolate for 14 days.

One of our small local papers has been going through their archives and running a few stories from 1918-19 and the Spanish Flu: it was terrible. One family buried their mother and 5 daughters in a week. And just when they thought it was over, there was a large gathering and over half the town ended up dead. We have much better medical treatments now and can hopefully handle a large out break, but I'd rather not have to deal with putting my parents, children and grandchildren in the ground. So even though there are no cases here and none (that we know of) even close, we'll be staying fairly close to home and avoiding large public gatherings.