Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Re: Your Zombie Apocalypse Kit

Post by SpaceCowboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Calling out is taking the day off also called calling in or calling off. Those of us who are showing up call it an obscene name involving one on one social intercourse as in (blank)ing their co-workers.

Mausey wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:20 pm
How are things doing with the pandemic? We still haven't slowed down, the people who are showing up are exhausted and are mad at the people taking advantage of Walmart's generosity on calling out, and we can't hire enough people for relief from the madness.

I'm not sure what a calling out is.

Things are very slowly returning to a sort of normal. The pool will open for lessons, the swim club and lane swims but I'm not sure about the open or public swim. Salons and barbers are open with conditions. The museum will not open but they did get a grant to hire a couple students to mow the grass and help with some of the upkeep. There was a large survey of Albertans and the vast majority think it will get worse before it gets better, we're comfortable with keeping a social distance, wearing masks in crowded public places and working from home. The survey also was loud and clear that anybody returning home or coming in for work from anywhere should self isolate for 14 days.

One of our small local papers has been going through their archives and running a few stories from 1918-19 and the Spanish Flu: it was terrible. One family buried their mother and 5 daughters in a week. And just when they thought it was over, there was a large gathering and over half the town ended up dead. We have much better medical treatments now and can hopefully handle a large out break, but I'd rather not have to deal with putting my parents, children and grandchildren in the ground. So even though there are no cases here and none (that we know of) even close, we'll be staying fairly close to home and avoiding large public gatherings.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:28 am

:lol: I thought it was something like that.

One store in town has full shelves and other than lysol spray disinfectant there is no difference from pre-covid. The other store however obviously has different suppliers and it shows. Half empty shelves throughout the store and spots that used to have product and just doesn't. The only item missing in both stores is gouda cheese for some reason.

A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 am

While working in Costco doing samples in the cheese department, I met a lady from Holland. I asked her why the Gouda and Edam cheese here, didn't taste as good as those in the country when you are visiting. She laughed and said " You don't think we send the good stuff out of the country do you?" I laughed but it doesn't taste as good as when you go in the store there and buy it. And I don't think it is because my taster has changed in 70 some years though it may have. I was in my 20's. LOL

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:23 pm

It was inevitable but our area has finally gotten hit with cases. We've had 0 for months and now we have 12. All the rural areas in the province that were covid free for so long now have cases. It was bound to happen with things starting to reopen so all we can do is be cautious. Masks aren't mandatory but are recommended for any enclosed places or where you can't keep the social distance. We've also got our share of people who are convinced wearing a mask will cause brain damage. :( they can't explain how Dr.s and nurses manage so well.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:19 pm

I've heard a few ridiculous theories about masks but that one takes the cake! We made it to 102 days without any cases at all in the community and very few in the hotels that are being used as managed isolation for a fortnight for anyone coming into the country. Then, on Wednesday, four cases in the same family in our biggest city which couldn't be traced to a known source. That led to a massive testing campaign and a "level 3" lockdown for Auckland and "level 2" for the rest of the country. People are not supposed to go in and out of Auckland and there are police patrols turning most of them around. Social distancing, limits on crowds, tracing and hand sanitising are mandatory, masks are recommended, especially on public transport and in public places. Here in Wellington, it's "level 2," back to bits of tape on the footpath for spacing, limits on how many people can be in shops and restaurants etc. It was 100 for the supermarket I went to today, and 15 for the exercise class that was held in one of the local swimming pool complexes. It was closed for level 3 and 4. The only other change from the "level 1" (business as normal except that our external borders are closed and we were being constantly warned about a second wave of infection) was that I had to leave the library book that I was returning in a bin in the foyer instead of checking it in myself. Today the Auckland cluster had grown to 17, all over Auckland but all relating back to the same family and workplaces.
Masks only stop the spread of infection if everybody is wearing them, which wasn't Wellington today. I wore mine on the busses I took and on the busiest of the streets. I'm not spreading my germs on everybody else then, or freaking them out when I cough. It's a courtesy, they don't know that my cough is lung damage, not an infection.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:24 am

We're lucky in that our area is once again clear. In the funny, but not funny category, I had a meeting the other evening and everybody was very careful about spacing. We didn't wear masks as we were out in the open but as soon as the meeting was done, everybody started getting closer. With-in about 5 minutes we were pretty much elbow to elbow. We'd notice and quickly move apart but it's like we were all magnetic.

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:48 am

And in Church, when it comes to the sharing the peace bit, it's waving at each other across the church instead of hugging - lots of us got the giggles instead of sharing the peace with anybody.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:13 am

I am debating with myself on whether to go back to work. The Pharmacist at COSTCO told me to wait two or three weeks. I wonder if I should wait to see how much damage was done over Labor Bay. I have been having trouble with my thumbs. Dear ole Arthur. That might cause me trouble if we were doing a lot of cooking with the samples. Right now just talking or giving out packets of samples. I talked to her a couple of weeks ago. I am afraid that I will stiffen up not working. Even though I try to walk early in the morning, it is still not enough to keep me limber enough to work. At my age it really is use it or lose it. Also at my age it is hard to find work, you are over qualified. I like the part time work, and they are good about letting you off, if you sign up ahead of time or if it is very important. Oh,well, guess i will stew for a little longer.

Hope everyone has stayed well. Very little been written at this site. Will blame it on the virus and Labor Day. LOL

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:52 pm

The last time we were at COSTCO the majority of people were wearing masks including all the staff. If does seem to vary though, somebody I know was at COSTCO (at a different location) last week and they said it was the opposite, almost nobody was masked up. Even in our little town there's a big difference, while both grocery stores have sanitizer and wipes at the doors, one store the staff is masked and the other isn't. Some people wear masks everywhere and others like myself only wear them inside the buildings. I think if we had actives cases in the area that would change fast.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:53 am

I think it is required by the Governor to wear masks in Virginia. I know I told one man that I didn't care if he died because he wouldn't wear a mask, but I felt sorry for the people he could infect like wives, girl friends, children, parents, grandchildren, etc. He just looked at me like I was crazy. I don't like wearing a mask because my glasses steam up if I am not careful. But surgeons and operating room staff have worn them for years so you can breathe through them. I am claustrophobic and still wear them. People say they infringe on their personal rights. So stay home so you can not be exposed or expose anyone else. Typhoid Mary was imprisoned for years because she was a carrier. They consider the general public's health to be more important than her rights. Guess I'll get off my soap box now. LOL