Clan Fiend

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
Mausey
AMCF Host

Re: Clan Fiend

Post by Mausey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 am

The Roundhouse Society had a very successful fund raiser on the 19th. Every year the provincial government has a program where they pay not for profit, charities and other organizations to clean the ditches. The program usually runs in May but covid put a stop to that plan. This year we put in for a section almost 40 kilometers long. With a group of 22, mostly 50+ (the oldest is pushing 90) we cleared the entire route in 3.5 hours for a pay day of about $3800. We also managed to collect $65 in bottles and cans for recycling. It was a perfect day, the ditches had all been mowed, it was warm but not hot with a slight breeze. It's a fairly quiet road so not even very much traffic. I almost hope they do it in the fall again next year. :D
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:04 pm

One of my son's friends, when he was in his 20's and 30"s. used to ride around on a bike and pick up aluminum cans and take them to the junk yard. He had a regular evening job, but enjoyed being out of doors and making extra money and help clean up. I was so proud of him. Think he made pretty good money from the cans.
Don't know much about snakes in Canada. Just hope it was cool enough and not enough grass for them to lurk. Guess I ought to look up poison snakes in Canada.
You having been working on the Roundhouse for a long time. I really enjoy reading about your efforts. Ray for the Roundhouse. Not if the officials would stop being so picky, maybe soon you can open it for visitors. Ray again.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:51 pm

You can make good money walking the ditches and picking up drink cans and bottles. Mom would take us out during the summer and we'd walk while she drove. Considering we only got 2 cents apiece and I made enough in a couple years to buy a $150 bike we walked a lot of miles. :D My brother had a fascination with big machines and would walk over to the oil drilling rigs (exploration only at that time) and make friends with the crews. They'd pile all their cans and bottles in in one spot for him, he bought a small motorcycle with his earnings. He'd come home and ask mom to get the truck and they'd come back with the box piled high. Now the refunds have gone up considerably, 10 cents for cans and bottles, the big soda bottles, wine and hard liquor are 25 cents and we can also take the big plastic milk jugs in for recycling at 25 cents each. Now if only there was a refund on fast food drink cups. :( Those things are everywhere.

As far as I know the only snake we have to watch out for are rattle snakes and they aren't very common where I live. They show up occasionally but not enough to be concerned about. If I remember correctly they might do serious damage to a child but I don't think they are fatal. Will have to google later and check. :D

We also just hosted a fishing derby this past Saturday. We got permission from the land owner next to ours so people could use almost the entire length of the dam. The dam was put in as a water source for the steam engines about 100 years ago and at one time was the town's drinking water. Originally it had pike, perch and whitefish stocked but somehow it now has Prussian carp (a giant gold fish basically). As it's considered an invasive species anybody fishing for the day didn't need a license, just had to put anything but the carp back. Well, we had a pretty good turnout but while there was a lot of fishing there was no catching. :lol: People were still pleased as we put all the names in a hat and just drew for the prizes. Almost everybody we talked to had a good day and they all said they'd be back next year if we do it again. Maybe we'll make it an annual event. It wasn't a huge money maker but it at least shows the community we're out there trying to raise money and not just asking for donations.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Canada pays better for recycling than we do. There's nobody that pays for plastic as far as I know, and aluminum is bought by the pound. But drink cans are so thin and light that it takes an amazing amount, melted VERY carefully (or else they simply vaporize) to make usable ingots. There's a lot of dross too, which means loss of product. Prices fell before the pandemic to where most people wouldn't bother taking them in. Manufacturers didn't want them, making stuff from new aluminum rather than recycling materials. Now I just saw a sign in our local supermarket, apologizing for the small quantities of canned soda and they had the plastic bottles on sale. So it's now catching up with them. Cans will hold carbonation longer than plastic bottles, I found out. But I've had soda actually eat through cans (especially Coke) because I don't drink my way through a couple of 12 packs in a year any more since I retired. I drink other things during the day, iced tea, water with flavorings, juice, etc., and my evening beer doesn't set around in storage long enough to eat through cans. Doesn't contain phosphoric acid, like Coke and other sodas do, either.

When my mother still lived in North St. Louis County, she wanted to recycle, but the trash collector charged more for the separate recycling bin service than regular service, and she couldn't afford to do so.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:48 pm

I have an election question for the Americans but first I'll explain just a bit about the Canadian system so you 'll know why I'm asking.
Local elections, you walk in on election day with a photo ID ( you must be 18 to vote in any election)and proof of residence, that can be bank statements, utility bill, lease agreement, etc. Basically anything that shows your physical residence; vote. The ID for proof is the same in all 3 levels of elections.

Provincial elections, walk in and we have a poll book with all registered voters for our voting area (advance voting days are a bit different so we won't go there), we check to see if they're on the list, if they are, they vote. If they aren't on the list, say they just moved, they provide photo ID, proof of residence, we fill out a form, they sign it and they vote.

Federal elections are almost the same as Provincial, we check their names on a poll book, they're there, they vote, not on it we get their paperwork and register and they vote.

If you're going to be away you can request a mail in ballot. I've never done it so not sure about the exact procedure.

Here's the question, from watching tv I get the impression that in the States, if you are not registered on election day you cannot vote. Do if you've just moved and your address has changed you can't register at your new location and vote?

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:02 pm

It depends on the state. There are some where you are allowed to cast a provisional paper ballot that is than sealed and you have I believe 7 days grace to prove your identity and that your residence in the state and locality is genuine at which time your ballot is placed with absentee ballots that arrived that day and then counted that evening. If you do not prove identity and residence by the end of the time period allowed you are presumed to have lied and the provisional ballot is destroyed unopened.

With absentee ballots the procedure is much the same with the exception we do not require the proving of the identity and residence of the voter. They also have to be postmarked no later than election day and they have 14 business days to arrive. Any absentee ballots postmarked after election day will be destroyed. Any postmarked prior to election day that arrive after 14 business days may or may not be destroyed depending on if the election has been certified. If the election has not been certified my county keeps counting until the day of official certification.

All of this will be done 6 days a week with Sunday the exception. It is done under the supervision of the local Registrar of Voters, her chief assistant, and poll judges/supervisors selected by each of the parties on the ballot. Where I am the poll judges are what are known as Precinct Committeemen who are elected at the precinct level by their party. I fill that position in my precinct and my off days from work are taken up by that charge through November. I also work as an election night poll judge every other Presidential election watching the counting of absentee ballots that arrive prior to election day. My next time for that is 2024 and since I am the Precinct Committeeman least likely to be replaced that is a given.

Absentee ballots are placed unopened alphabetically by precinct as they arrive after is marked that the person has officially cast a ballot. On election day afternoon they are gone through by the Registrar of voters, her chief assistant, and the designated poll judges. We check signatures, if they have moved and are now registered elsewhere, or if they have died. On the signatures we are only allowed to challenge them if they are clearly not the same signature. Like if the person has beautiful calligraphy level handwriting and the signature is a half literate scrawl or vice versa. Any absentee ballot that is successfully challenged for any of the three reasons they can be with death the most common is then shredded. And any of the generally 5 people preparing them can challenge a ballot including the registrar and her assistant. Once verified they are opened and placed in packets by precinct. Between 20 minutes until poll close and poll close they are placed by an optical reader and some time in that time period they will start being counted. They are ran through the optical reader by two members of the registrars staff in place of the registrar and her chief assistant since they are now supervising the election and the poll judges turn and turn about one precinct at a time. The poll judges cannot run their own precinct and this is the only time we handle actual ballots that are being counted. After they are done the registrar takes the numbers from the optical reader and keys them into the computer that returns are being feed into. This is the other reason that she and her chief assistant don't feed them into the optical reader. The rest of the night is spent by the registrar, her chief assistant, and the poll judges (both the absentee ballot set and election night set) verifying incoming numbers and certifying they are valid. The absentee ballot set of judges once the absentee ballots are ran will only be there as a second set of eyes for the election night. Since our job is done by the certification of the absentee ballots prior to them being counted we are just extra hands/eyes that is why we can help run them through the optical reader.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for weighing in, SC. I knew you could explain it a lot better and more thoroughly than I ever could.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:39 am

Your way sounds pretty good, Mausey. They use the registration to limit voters, if you are careless about changing your name, address, etc., with the registration office. Also a poll tax was used for years to limit voters. It was an underhanded way to limit voters. Some people just don't think about the changes in their lives changing the way they can vote. They don't mean to be careless, they just have things they think are more important at that time.
I always say if you don't vote, you can't complain about the government. But at times, persons in power make it difficult for some people to vote unless they are very stubborn. Some say our way limits voters from the graveyard from voting, but I think a utility bill, a car registration, etc. could also be used to make sure they are who they say they are and should be allowed to vote. But I am just a female, and most of the politicians are male, and they do like to complicate things. LOL

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:51 am

You're welcome. Politics is a lot like making sausage you only get involved if you can stand to what goes into it. I'm a Committeeman only because there is no one else in my precinct or the five adjacent that wants it and someone at this end of town needs to represent us. Technically when we have to vote on a replacement for my party I vote as the official Committeeman for mine and 5 Proxy in place of Committeeman votes for the other 5 close precincts.

Kosh wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:51 pm
Thanks for weighing in, SC. I knew you could explain it a lot better and more thoroughly than I ever could.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:30 am

Personally I think the US should do what Mexico and the Central American countries do and issue a permanent hard plastic voters card with picture for Federal elections and there be separate ballots for Federal and local elections. I see them every day at work when I ask some people for ID and think they should be used here. The offices on the Federal ballot would be President/Vice President, US Senator, US Representative.

There would have to be decisions on who issues and how they are issued. But the criteria for who they are issued to would be simple you take your passport or state ID or state issued Drivers License to prove Identity and either your birth certificate or green card to prove citizenship to the nearest Federal Court House fill out a simple card with your name and address and be issued the voters card. The individual states would have nothing to do with the issuing of the card. As for timing if we can get the authorizing legislation done in the next 2-3 years than the Monday after the 2024 election they would start issuing them with them used in the 2026 mid-term elections for the first time.

McCarron2 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:39 am
Your way sounds pretty good, Mausey. They use the registration to limit voters, if you are careless about changing your name, address, etc., with the registration office. Also a poll tax was used for years to limit voters. It was an underhanded way to limit voters. Some people just don't think about the changes in their lives changing the way they can vote. They don't mean to be careless, they just have things they think are more important at that time.
I always say if you don't vote, you can't complain about the government. But at times, persons in power make it difficult for some people to vote unless they are very stubborn. Some say our way limits voters from the graveyard from voting, but I think a utility bill, a car registration, etc. could also be used to make sure they are who they say they are and should be allowed to vote. But I am just a female, and most of the politicians are male, and they do like to complicate things. LOL
-David Poole