Clan Fiend

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
McCarron2

Re: Clan Fiend

Post by McCarron2 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:45 am

I like your idea also, SC. But in Newport News, VA, the city is 17 miles long or about that and the Federal Court House, if it is still used, was shut for a while, is at one end. Seniors could ride the bus for $2.50 (for all day pass) but it would take a whole day. Also a lot of people don't know where the Federal Court House is, right now me unless they have opened the old one. They know where the Courts are, if they have to go there or are arrested and have to go or for jury duty. I am also afraid that some of our black elderly or younger people would be afraid to go to a FEDERAL Court House. A shame but there it is. If our Federal Court House is still closed, they would have to travel to Norfolk or Richmond. They would not do that.

I guess fingerprints could be used but someone would scream about personal freedom or something and that wouldn't work. In some neighborhoods the workers at the polls know at lot of the voters which helps.

So I love your idea but am afraid the lack of Federal Court Houses could be a problem. But something should be worked out. At least for the upcoming election, there are two cab companies that are offering free rides to the polls. Great. Of course, where I vote, it is diagonal across the street so I walk.
But it is a great help to many.

\\

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 am

Got to thinking about it after I posted that and would change it to the US Post Offices plus the US Court House most cities have more of those.

I know what you mean about easy voting my polling place and early voting center are in the same building behind the Walmart I work at. I've never noticed any of our Black or Hispanic citizens have trouble with the location or the location of the primary early voting site. The one behind me is the Public Service Academy which also contains a small police precinct. The main one is the building which holds the main police and sheriffs offices as well as the Registrar of voters offices and several city/county finance offices.

McCarron2 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:45 am
I like your idea also, SC. But in Newport News, VA, the city is 17 miles long or about that and the Federal Court House, if it is still used, was shut for a while, is at one end. Seniors could ride the bus for $2.50 (for all day pass) but it would take a whole day. Also a lot of people don't know where the Federal Court House is, right now me unless they have opened the old one. They know where the Courts are, if they have to go there or are arrested and have to go or for jury duty. I am also afraid that some of our black elderly or younger people would be afraid to go to a FEDERAL Court House. A shame but there it is. If our Federal Court House is still closed, they would have to travel to Norfolk or Richmond. They would not do that.

I guess fingerprints could be used but someone would scream about personal freedom or something and that wouldn't work. In some neighborhoods the workers at the polls know at lot of the voters which helps.

So I love your idea but am afraid the lack of Federal Court Houses could be a problem. But something should be worked out. At least for the upcoming election, there are two cab companies that are offering free rides to the polls. Great. Of course, where I vote, it is diagonal across the street so I walk.
But it is a great help to many.

\\
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:41 am

SC: That could work, if the Post Office is still around. Since the Members of Congress send a lot of "information" or junk to their people, through the post office, I think they will rescue it. Not sure, think Members of Congress get "Free" Postage. They would howl if they had to pay for it. Since the Post Office has been cut back so much and a lot of times when you go, only one person is on duty, they would have to hire more people. Good idea. Or an elderly delivery person could work behind the counter. Even better. So, SpaceCowboy, lets you and I run the country for awhile. LOL Take care of some of the unemployment. The Postal Service is vital to this country. Big companies aren't going to small town and counties to deliver. No immediate profit. In small towns and cities, they might read your postcards but who cares. Postal Service has always been dependable. Done preaching for the day. Gotta get ready for work. Bye

Vyon

Post by Vyon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Do you mean you can only vote at the Court House? Our election date is next Saturday, 17th October, most schools and libraries will have polling booths in them and the early voting places will also still be open. I've walked past three of them in the last week. One is in a community hall, the other two were in empty CBD shops and all were busy. Last time I cast an early vote at the Central Library but I know there won't be a place there this time because that building has been closed as an earthquake risk. There's been a lot of advertising and encouragement to vote early and all except one of our main party leaders voted on October 3rd when the early polling opened. There's a free phone number and a website to contact for free transport to a polling booth, I think that's provided by volunteers, I've never needed to use it.
By law we must enroll to vote, but, unlike Australia, we are not required to vote. We can enroll or put a change of address right up to polling day. Postal polling is available but registration for that has closed. Because I haven't moved since the last election I have had an easyvote pack posted to me with a list of electorate candidates (11 of them!) and an easyvote card with my full name and my number on the roll. The card makes it quicker for them to find me on the register. If I forget it I only have to tell them my name, I don't have to provide verified ID.
It sounds sensible to me to make the easyvote card into a proper identity card instead of just a heavy paper tearout on the bottom of the page of instructions. If I need ID I can use my passport (expired) or drivers licence (I don't have one) or a Government sponsored RealMe app on my phone - which doesn't do apps. So I can't use the Government's Covid tracing app either. Some places accept my gold card (pensioner card) or bankcard as ID but neither have a photo on them.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:32 pm

Right now, we don't vote at Courthouses or Post Offices. It is usually in schools or community centers. There are plenty of them so it is easy to get to them, but you got be registered, etc. to vote. With the virus, some of my friends are poll workers, all elderly, and will not work. Messes things up but this time at the place across the street, not several miles from a school. Across the street is a Retirement Home and they didn't want public coming in.
Guess they feel they can contain the virus, as I don't think most retirement homes are allowing visitors. The room is separated from the rest of the building and easy to spray and clean after the polls close.

I still say if you don't vote, don't complain. Even if your person didn't get in. You voted.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:35 pm

We vote in the volunteer fire dept.'s building

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:36 am

No most of the primary day of election polling places here in Allen County/Fort Wayne Indiana are churches. Normally our main early voting site is at the Rousseau Center which holds our main police and sheriffs offices upstairs as well as on the main floor the Registrar of Voters, the main financial offices of the city and county, and secondary city and county offices. This year because of the virus the main early voting center has been moved to the Allen County War Memorial Colosseum and Event Center because it has more room for them to spread out. The primary secondary early voting center is at the Safety Academy which is where our first responders are trained and which also contains the city's only Police Precinct.

Vyon wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:03 pm
Do you mean you can only vote at the Court House? Our election date is next Saturday, 17th October, most schools and libraries will have polling booths in them and the early voting places will also still be open. I've walked past three of them in the last week. One is in a community hall, the other two were in empty CBD shops and all were busy. Last time I cast an early vote at the Central Library but I know there won't be a place there this time because that building has been closed as an earthquake risk. There's been a lot of advertising and encouragement to vote early and all except one of our main party leaders voted on October 3rd when the early polling opened. There's a free phone number and a website to contact for free transport to a polling booth, I think that's provided by volunteers, I've never needed to use it.
By law we must enroll to vote, but, unlike Australia, we are not required to vote. We can enroll or put a change of address right up to polling day. Postal polling is available but registration for that has closed. Because I haven't moved since the last election I have had an easyvote pack posted to me with a list of electorate candidates (11 of them!) and an easyvote card with my full name and my number on the roll. The card makes it quicker for them to find me on the register. If I forget it I only have to tell them my name, I don't have to provide verified ID.
It sounds sensible to me to make the easyvote card into a proper identity card instead of just a heavy paper tearout on the bottom of the page of instructions. If I need ID I can use my passport (expired) or drivers licence (I don't have one) or a Government sponsored RealMe app on my phone - which doesn't do apps. So I can't use the Government's Covid tracing app either. Some places accept my gold card (pensioner card) or bankcard as ID but neither have a photo on them.
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:27 am

I completely forgot the voter card. *slaps self* Every registered voter has a simple card mailed to them. It has the full name and both mailing and civic address on it as well as the advance poll date, place and times and the voting time and place on election day. It has a phone number to call if any of the info on the card is incorrect, name spelt incorrectly, a marriage or divorce or if you've moved. You still need to bring a photo ID with the card but it's still pretty simple.

We have a tiny population compared to most places in the United States. Heck, the the province of Alberta has a population of 4.37 million. Makes it pretty easy for us to count every ballot by hand in just a few hours.

I've been working elections for over 20 years and in all that time I've only had to deny a few people. You cannot vote out of your riding (area, zone etc.) on election day. You either go to an advance poll where you live or you request a mail in ballot. We want people to vote and make it as easy as possible. We believe in the honor system and it seems to work just fine for us. In all of Canada for the last election there was a whopping 3019 ballots in question. Of the ones investigated so far, the majority were simply people who didn't know they weren't allowed to vote.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:41 am

There has finally been good stuff happening with the roundhouse. We have a couple interior firewalls repaired and they are working on resurfacing another section of the roof. Happy Dancing!!! While it's a long way from done, we still have about 7500 sq. ft. of roof to do, this will stop the worst of the leaks and we don't have to keep moving items to avoid a soaking. The president of the society has been working on getting our charitable status so we can give tax receipts. There are several people wanting to make sizable donations but not until they can get a bit of tax relief for it. The biggest problem right now is so many people were moved from one dept. to another to help with covid relief programs there aren't enough left in the office to take care of regular business. :( All of the electric has passed inspection so we can hook up a generator and have lights. There was a bit of a kerfuffle as the inspector hadn't run into a building quite like ours and wasn't sure about LED lights and a generator. Our guy was able to pull up all the info and show the inspector who then passed us with flying colours. :D One step closer to hosting weddings and other events. :)

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:27 pm

Our eldest is unemployed as of today. :( He went to work and came home 20 minutes later with a handful of papers. The boss didn't have a reason just told him he had to call HR and talk to them. Well, he did and the only thing HR could tell him was it was "a company decision" whatever the hell that means and had no further information. :evil: He did get holiday and severance pay and has a full month to complete any benefits paperwork which he did. I asked him if it was a surprise and he said no, he and his boss have never gotten along. His boss is one of those who wants things done immediately and it doesn't matter if you're already doing something. Our son doesn't multitask well and finishes one job before moving to the next which his boss doesn't agree with. He has a couple mental health issues and admittedly can be distracted but he always gets the job done before the end of the day. The only upside is he's been there several years so has more than enough hours to apply for employment insurance until the next job comes along.