Clan Fiend

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
Kosh

Re: Clan Fiend

Post by Kosh » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:55 pm

Anybody want their own baby dragon?
https://sholov.myshopify.com/products/m ... 4574497877

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:16 am

Ha!! No thanks. I am not fond of any tiny little animals just born or a little older, including human babies. But I'll kill you if you touched mine when he was little. Never could figure out how anyone could say how darling they were and looked just like so and so. But as my Mother told me when I got married, don't have a baby right away as you are not a maternal person. A work so many of the gals gush over babies and I am always amazed. I prefer them older. Guess Mon was right. Babies of any type just don't turn me on.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:52 am

I got some very sad and shocking news today, a cousin was leaving for work early this morning, made a left turn out of his driveway and was hit by another vehicle and was killed. :cry: It sounds very much like he either didn't look or wasn't paying attention. The only good thing is nobody else was injured. We're all concerned for his wife as she has no other family and the two of them were mostly their own world. They very seldom attended any family gatherings and in the 25+ years they were married I met her once. His sisters both offered to go and stay with her but she says she wants time to process and besides, she has the dogs.

It's been a very wet couple weeks. Lots of rain and heat so the garden is happy, sadly, so are the weeds. :lol: I've been picking strawberries and have enough frozen for 3 batches of jam. That will wait until fall and cooler weather. The peas are just starting and the radishes are pretty much finished. The garden is sort of strange this year, melons and squash are going great guns but the carrots are tiny. Some people I know are already picking some of theirs. A couple of my fruit trees have next to no fruit so it's a good thing I still have some from last year in the freezer.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:40 am

So sorry. Such a shock to the wife. Sudden death gives us no time to prepare. When someone is ill, even though when it happen and everyone knows it must, it still hurts. But the waiting seems to help in the long run and the pain eases a little faster. Sorry they were so into each other that they had no room for anyone else. May sound great but friends and relatives help in times of need. Everyone grieves in their own way and doing familiar things may help her. Maybe she will reach out later.

I miss having a garden. So much pleasure and good eating. Everything tastes so much better than store bought. Haven't had one in 30 odd years and still miss it. I have to laugh at the people who buy "baby carrots". They have never seen a carrot grow and think those shaped things are the real thing. If they thought, they would realize a baby carrot looks just like a big carrot. LOL

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 pm

I know McCarron. A baby carrot here is just a broken big carrot they shape to round off the ends. :lol: You can always plant tomatoes in a pot in a sunny window. It's not a garden but they will taste like a tomato. :)

When my brother died after a lengthy illness my mom barely shed a tear yet she was a mess when she called to tell me about my cousin. It's a real catch22 situation though isn't it. A sudden death means family and friends get a sudden, large smack of grief yet a death with some time to prepare means somebody usually is suffering in some manner. There really is no easy way.

granath

Post by granath » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Hello again, long time no see. :)
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:26 am

Welcome Back.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Glad to see another familiar name come back.

It's been pretty much an up and down 30-some days over all, but maybe, just maybe, it might be getting better. Back in late June we went on a trip to Wyoming to see the youngest son's family. I had a pretty good time, aside from the hours of driving across Kansas. Colorado, and Wyoming. Some pretty scenery on the "back route" through Colorado from Fort Collins to Laredo Wyoming, other than that it was mostly miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. The highlight of the stay was going on a sort of trail ride in off-road side by side 4-wheelers. Nothing too rough or adventurous, but lots of scenery. At one point on a mountaintop, we were standing in Wyoming looking at the mountain directly behind the son's house (I mean that quite literally, as in less than a mile from his front door to the base of White Mountain), over 60 miles away. Turned slightly, and the mountain range on the horizon was in Utah, turned a bit more, and the mountains were in Colorado. Saw elk so far away, you needed high power binoculars to know what they were. They're rather distinctively marked when viewed from behind. Saw 2 or 3 mule deer, and of course, antelope. But no moose or bear. I think we were in the wrong terrain for moose, for the most part. I didn't miss not seeing bear at all. They're too unpredictable for me. Moose can be bad enough, thank you.

From Rock Springs, Wyoming to Conway Springs, Kansas in one jaunt was a bit of a stretch, but I got to see my best friend and his wife. They've both had a go-'round with cancer, and my friend Bob has had a really rough go of it. He's just landed back in the hospital in fact. We stayed a day longer than intended; I was trying to help with whatever I could around the house to ease things for Carolyn.

I came home to find my old dog on death's door. He was quite literally skin and bones. I called my vet, only to find the Covid BS had him backlogged for over 2 weeks. Finally got a vet in Rolla (over 30 miles away) to see him. Poor old dog had contracted ehrlichia, a disease spread by infected ticks. He's now on his second round of Doxycycline, and is beginning to walk more, and gaining some muscle mass back.

Then the air conditioner/furnace went out. Fatally. The furnace was 1986 mobile home original, so it had a longer than normal lifespan, but it couldn't have happened at a worse time. Maybe I shouldn't say that, but too late now. Took until after the 4th of July to get things replaced, all the while battling the heat and trying to keep my dog alive. Payments on the new furnace & A/C start next month.

One bright spot, sort of, is that we were adopted by a new cat. Found him just hanging around. When I first spotted him, he started to run, but when I called to him he stopped and wanted to be friends, mainly because he was hungry as all get out. It took him a few days to fully accept my dog Bob and one incident of finding he's not allowed to eat out of Bob's bowl, especially when Bob's eating from it, but he accepts having flea treatment drops put on him, and the two of them lay on the porch together, so now we have Peanut added to Kit Kat and Baby Ruth. But he's outdoors only, and the other two are indoor only. Now most mornings when I go out to give Bob his morning meds I find Peanut on the roof, looking quite pleased with himself. He likes to go with us when I take Bob for his morning exercise to help him recover from the sickness.

I took my wife to see her sister in Anderson, Indiana, making the drive from here outside of Licking, Missouri to there and back in one LONG day because of my dog. I go back to get her the end of this week. I think Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana all have the same four seasons: Fall, Winter, Spring, and Road Construction. More construction zones in Illinois and Indiana than in all of Kansas, Colorado, and Wyoming. Over twice as far to get to Rock Springs, and much less than half the construction zones as from here to Anderson.

So I think that after changing cat and dog flea and tick meds, finding something that got rid of the fleas that had made it into the house, getting a new furnace & A/C, and fighting ehrlichia, all I have left is to bring the wife home, get the tractor fixed, repair the bad spot in the roof, and finish the remodel of the whole house.

I didn't work this hard when I was a Corrections Office.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:27 pm

At least you can't complain of being bored. LOL Try staying in your apartment and obey the Virus Rules. Sounds like you had a lot of fun and some sorrow. But at least you know you are living and accomplishing something. Great story. I really adored it.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:11 pm

wow Kosh, you got a lot of everything going on. Sorry to hear about your dog, hope he makes a full recovery. Our ac went out last month as well but we got lucky and it was a 5 minute fix with a $5 part. We called hubby's eldest (we bought the furnace and ac unit from his company) and he made a run out from the city and fixed it.

We've had more rain than usual and as a result my peas have run amuck. The things are well over 6 foot high and have been tied up twice. At this rate I'll need a ladder to pick them. The zucchini have leaves the size of serving platters and the tomatoes have overgrown the cages. The peppers and melons aren't doing as well and I'll be surprised to get anything from them.