Clan Fiend

The Lounge is where people can spend time getting to know each other and share interests unrelated to Anne McCaffrey. It's also where "Newbies" can get up to speed with the Kitchen Table culture.
granath

Re: Clan Fiend

Post by granath » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 am

Oh gosh, Kosh! Good luck with your dog. I'm glad you didn't have to leave him alone for longer than a day. How long was the drive?

When my MIL retired some fifteen years ago for health reasons, at first her social calendar was busier than it had ever been. She was working in a building with dry rot as a nursing teacher and she got asthma, sometimes so bad that she needed oxygen and luckily that was available at the teaching hospital next door. For many years she volunteered in her church, went on retreats, ran a club for seniors, and helped us with our son, until ill health forced her to stop most of it and current pandemic restrictions stopped the rest of it.
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm

granath wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 am
Oh gosh, Kosh! Good luck with your dog. I'm glad you didn't have to leave him alone for longer than a day. How long was the drive?
I actually took my wife Sharon to our middle son's house in Kokomo Indiana so she could go to our grandson's baseball game that night. We tried a "shortcut" that my wife thought would avoid a bunch of construction on I-70 and keep us from going all the way into Indianapolis, where there had been some protests that had gotten out of hand. Well, the shortcut wasn't. The roads had all changed due to college campus expansion and by the time we got straightened out and got to Corey's house, we were over an hour later than expected. We ate supper then unloaded her stuff and I started back, with directions from Corey for a different route. That turned to be quicker even though it was a little bit out of the way. I avoided all the construction in Indiana except one spot right outside of Terre Haute, practically on the Illinois border. There was one major site in Illinois, but I was expecting it and knew that traffic flowed pretty well. All in all, we left home a little after 7AM on Thursday morning and I was back home by 1AM Friday morning. I went from Central time zone to Eastern and back again, so I lost and regained an hour in that time. Last time I did an 18 hour trip was when we went to Rock Springs Wyoming in a 2004 Scion Xb, the original Toaster on Wheels. that time, we only stopped for food, restrooms, and fuel.

Bob is doing a lot better. The vet told me to get him up and walking every morning before the heat of the day sets in to help rebuild his lost muscle mass, and it's working. He gets his pain medicine, the 2 of us go for a walk (today he went further than he's been in weeks) and then he gets his Doxycycline and Peanut and he have a bit of breakfast.

Yesterday the mail carrier brought a package to the house. Bob barked and got up to go greet the driver. He's making a comeback!

granath

Post by granath » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:55 am

Great to hear Bob is doing so much better!
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks Granath. He's getting some strength back. The last two mornings he has ambled down the driveway ahead of me, much like he's done in the past. This morning he was half-way to the gate, which means about 1/8th of a mile, when I had to get him to stop and come back to get his meds and breakfast. Peanut was beginning to wonder what was going on, I could tell. To get Bob to come back I had to get his attention then turn around and start home. I looked behind me and Peanut had waited for Bob; they touched noses, and then caught up with me. They're getting to be quite the pair.

granath

Post by granath » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:28 am

Aww, that's wonderful to hear.

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:14 pm

I was going to Indiana Friday to bring my wife home, so I got up early to get a good start. When I went out to give Bob his painkiller liquid & get him to walk with me, Peanut was nowhere to be found. After calling and calling, and doing our walk, still no cat, so Bob got his meds and breakfast without the cat. I had to leave of course, so I put out food for Bob and the indoor cats for the next couple of days and had to go. I drove straight through from home to Anderson in a bit over 8 hours, stopping only once for fuel and restroom break. Tried a variation on the route I had used for my return trip when I took Sharon to Indiana, only to be met with a construction detour that took me back 20-odd miles to the other route. So time lost, not saved.

I'm revising my thoughts. I think Illinois and especially Indiana have only 2 seasons; Road Construction and More Road Construction. I wanted to plant my face in a pillow and scream in frustration, but decided that was NOT advisable while driving a 2-lane road at 55 to 60 MPH.

Of course, from Friday on I couldn't help wondering where Peanut was. Had he just decided to move on? Did he get run off by a jealous Bob? Had he met up with a possum and gotten killed?

This last one might sound ridiculous to some, but it's a country life reality. When confronted by an animal of similar size, like a domestic cat, a possum will put on their timid, withdrawing act, then when the cat gets brave and moves in to investigate the strange animal, the possum strikes out and goes for the throat. They're surprisingly fast, too. Years ago, we found an abscess wound on our Minnie cat's neck. The vet said it was probably from a possum bite. Then several years later, I found my favorite young cat Sully dead with a hole in his throat. I know we get possums coming around because they're scavengers and they will smell anything Bob or Peanut leave uneaten.

Anyway, Sharon and I left Sunday morning to come home, I made a couple of wrong turns while looking for drive-thru restaurants for breakfast sandwiches, but even with stopping in one of our favorite places, Blue Springs Cafe in Hiland Illinois for a late lunch/early dinner of their great fried chicken, we still got home in fairly good time.

Bob hadn't regressed other than not getting a lot of exercise; Mastiffs are noted for being a somewhat lazy breed, and then he's been sick too. But Peanut was waiting close by, and let me know he was hungry.

He still hasn't told me where he got off to.

But things are getting back to what passes for normal around here. Peanut hasn't been straying too far now, Bob is continuing to improve, eating more now than before he took sick, and Kitt Katt and Baby Ruth, after not getting their morning shared can of wet food for 2 days, have decided that they aren't as bored with the assortment of flavors as they thought and have been cleaning up their bowls the last 2 mornings.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:42 am

Cats and Dogs Rule!!! So glad Peanut came back. Bob may be slow but really seems to be getting better. Fingers crossed for him.

granath

Post by granath » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:08 am

Thanks for posting the good news.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:46 am

We've had a few cats that have vanished over the years. We've always tried to keep them indoors but sadly some just aren't house cats. Even a few we got as kittens that we never let out would sit and tear holes in the screens until they could get outside. It didn't matter how many toys they had or how much we played with them they were not happy inside. We have also had the exact opposite with cats that won't even poke a nose out the door. :lol:

We managed to have a fair this year and with a venue change there was no problem with social distancing. It's been slowing getting smaller over the years so it was nice to see a slight increase in entries this time. We all thought the Home Economics would have a lot more with so many people at home but nope, exact same as last year. The art work was crazy though. We ended up having to set up 3 more tables just to display it all. Most of it was from the 3 to 6 year old group so a lot of it was way more abstract. :lol: It was really nice to see so many entering, I hope they keep it up as they get older.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:44 am

We've had several busy weekends. Last part of August the roundhouse society was asked to run the bar for a small wedding as a fund raiser. It was a long night and the parents of both the bride and groom were very, very careful about social distancing. Usually the people on bar duty also clear empties off table but not this time. There were announcements several times reminding people to keep their table tidy. All the food and snacks were served and everybody had masks. It was a really good time. Last weekend I had a medical appointment so we added some time so we could get a visit in with my parents. We haven't seen them in about 6 months. I was a bit concerned about the distancing but they both said they were not worried so get our butts to the house. :D This past weekend we had a big family reunion on my husbands side with a side trip to see the grand daughters. With both parents being medics that was a very social distance visit. They are very careful as our daughter-in-law is working with an active case. The actual reunion was 90% outdoors so the keeping a distance sort of went out the window fast. We did make sure there were only 3 people in the house at any time and there was a port-a-potty and a handwashing station provided. We will be aware and keep a good distance and masks on when we go out for the next 2 weeks just to be double safe.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero