Your first Pern book and how does it affect your concept of Pern?

A place to discuss all things related to the books of Anne McCaffrey. Please see sub forums for further book discussions.
R'zil

Your first Pern book and how does it affect your concept of Pern?

Post by R'zil » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Just curious, does anyone think the first Pern book we came across affects our vision of the world overall? I'm old enough that my first Pern book was Dragonflight. I still remember when I first came across it in the bookstore at my high school and I pretty much came across all the books as they were written, each developing the world a little more.
Granath's post in the "what are you reading now" thread triggered the question in me.
"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

granath

Re: Your first Pern book and how does it affect your concept of Pern?

Post by granath » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:32 pm

And as I posted in that thread, my first Pern book was Moreta, and it's still my favorite. Maybe because she can be her own, strong woman. Too bad she has to die, but I really enjoy that story.
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

Cosmic

Post by Cosmic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:38 pm

I read the books in the order they were written, so I also read Dragonflight first. I was lent a copy of Dragonflight by a student who thought I would enjoy it. They were correct. :) It did mean it came as a real surprise when I found that Pern was an acronym and that dragons had been genetically engineered. I really enjoyed the idea of this and the science behind it. At some point in the future I plan to read them in chronological order as I've been told that the series can feel different like this.
"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill." Barbara Tuchman

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:56 am

Shortly after I was married ( in 1982 :shock: ) I stumbled over hubby's copy of The White Dragon and was hooked. :D I really don't know if or how it affected the way I see Pern. I did hit the local library and get the first books to read before I got further into the series.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero

Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:59 am

Pretty sure I read them in cannon order starting with Dragonflight, then back to the early years after that.
Cheers

Simon!

Lady Pendragon

Post by Lady Pendragon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:02 pm

For me, it was Dragonsong. I was lucky to have Anneli take it and get it signed by Anne, The inscription says "To Lady Pendragon, I hope your baby sleeps!"

The baby she mentions is Adam, who is now 14!

SpaceCowboy
AMCF Host

Post by SpaceCowboy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:58 pm

Started with "DragonFlight" which was in a bag of books that was given to me. I found it interesting enough that I searched out all of the ones my high school library held in its collection and then when I started working filled in what I hadn't read as well as picking up copies of the others I had read from school. My actual favorite McCaffrey books are "The Ship Who Sang" and "The Ship Who Searched".
I believe anybody who tells you he is unbiased is a liar. Being human gives you bias, and you can't avoid that. The best you can ever hope to be is fair."
-David Poole

Cherlyn

Post by Cherlyn » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:22 pm

The first PERN book that caught my eye, and subsequently read, was "The White Dragon". I worked backwards then I was able to work ahead in order... I got to see the 'modern' PERN and then was able to see what lead up to that point in time.
I did have the unusual surprise to start with the first book of the Tower & Hive series, "The Rowan".
I miss our Dragon Lady! :cry:
Cherlyn, Grey-headed wonder!
Chocaholic, Cheesaholic, Junque-aholic, Pugged Packrat extraordinaire!

Woollymouse
--->Special R<---

Post by Woollymouse » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:18 pm

I found Pern via the short story in 'Get off the Unicorn' and 'The Smallest Dragonboy' hence K'van and Heth are always favorites of mine. I just wish he played a bigger role even if he did end up as Southern Weyr Leader. Only chose the book as I liked the cover in my local library. From that I think I moved on to the Harper Hall books and only then on to the rest of the series.

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:41 pm

My aunt loaned me Dragondrums, but when I saw it was third in a trilogy I went and read Dragonsong and Dragonsinger first. They're still among my favorites. Then they had the introduction which describes DF and DQ, so I went looking for the book which tells about Lessa's ride to bring the Weyrs forward... and ended up with AtWoP! I opened it and saw description of a supercomputer waking up and knew that something was very, very wrong...
The other thing was that I read RoP before I read TWD, so there were a number of scenes which I saw from an opposite point of view first! I only found out about Robinton's heart attack when Piemur did! Same with Ramoth's egg being stolen...

I still have great affection for DSo and DSi. I think it's partly because they were written for a slightly younger audience - it's one of the few glimpses we get of ordinary life of an ordinary person in an ordinary Hold, rather than High Politics. And Lessa is amazing, but I definitely connect with Menolly better.