Your first Pern book and how does it affect your concept of Pern?

A place to discuss all things related to the books of Anne McCaffrey. Please see sub forums for further book discussions.
Vyon

Re: Your first Pern book and how does it affect your concept of Pern?

Post by Vyon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:45 pm

I read them in order as they came out, after getting interested in Science Fiction by reading translations of Russian Science Fiction stories. Menolly is my favourite too, for the same reason.

Bobbsy
Engineering Dept.

Post by Bobbsy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 am

I'm another one who read them pretty much in order, starting with Dragonflight and working on from there. Some of the books are more "sidebars" and don't fit into a specific place in the order.

I'm going to be a bit different here and say my favorite of the lot was "All the Weyrs of Pern". I first encountered the world of Pern on a recommendation of a neighbour--probably 1983--and really enjoyed it even though I'm more of a science fiction person rather than fantasy. ATWoP finally pulled the fantasy and science together for me.
That's what I do. I drink, and I know things. -Tyrion Lannister (and Bob Howes)

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:16 am

First found Pern in '81.
Cold wet day in town so took a short cut through the local market, where I happened upon the second hand book stall.
10 minutes later, I walked away with The White Dragon and The Ship Who Sang.
I then read most of the others as I came across them, then as they were published...

Kosh

Post by Kosh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 am

I read them as they were first released in the United States. The first two when they hit paperback, The White Dragon in hardback. The others as they came out in paperback.

BD1

Post by BD1 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:23 pm

For me, I first read the Harper Hall trilogy in high school. I was supposed to write a book report, but I did a books report. I got a good grade on the report. :D :D :D In the '80s, I joined a fan club called Ista Weyr. Ista had two leaders, their characters were L'renz and Merelan. Harry and Marylan (sp?) Alm. L'renz rode bronze Math. I can't remember the name of the dragon she rode. :( I once had the books with the original paperback covers!! A number of years later, I saw the new covers, didn't like them. :x :x Prefer the earlier covers. :) The earlier covers seemed to reflect what was in that book!!