When did you last...

A place to discuss all things related to the books of Anne McCaffrey. Please see sub forums for further book discussions.
Cosmic

Re: When did you last...

Post by Cosmic » Fri May 12, 2017 4:51 pm

I have no idea when I last read a book by Anne. :oops: I know it is some time ago. I keep being introduced to new books and authors and want to read those rather than re-reading some of Annes. In term time I have very limited reading time, which gets quite annoying. In principle I'm up for book club and one of Anne's as a start point, but right now I may not have the time to read the book. :(
"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill." Barbara Tuchman

Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon » Sat May 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Shall we see if we can pick up a McCaffrey book then? Go here to see the relaxed, no pressure book club suggestion I have! :D
Cheers

Simon!

Schisty

Post by Schisty » Wed May 17, 2017 7:48 pm

I've been rereading Dragonriders and Talents lately, as I'm doing a presentation of these two serials at a convention next weekend (Memorial Day, for Americans). I've been trying to find interesting things about these series to talk about!

Lady Pendragon

Post by Lady Pendragon » Sat May 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Its been a few years since I picked up one of Anne's books. Mostly. I'm reading fairy tales or children's books to my 5 year old. However, give her a couple of years and I'll be reading Dragonsong and Dragonsinger to her.

P'ter

Post by P'ter » Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 am

I worked Anne's books into an essay last year. We had to write on the role of religion in a book and I landed up contrasting Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion with Anne's Pern books.

Schisty

Post by Schisty » Sun May 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Now there's a book I haven't read in forever, the 'Paksenarrion' series...

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:06 pm

I usually read through her books about once a year. Read a series at a time. Love them all. And I agree it is like meeting an old friend and being comfortable. Only the death of the Masterharper gets to me. Have to read the next book quickly. Miss the computer also.

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:48 am

It's been quite a while, but since I read them so obsessively for years, I can pull up scenes in my head just like that! I've been meaning to revisit some of them, although I have an ongoing mountain of library books...

granath

Post by granath » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:51 pm

At the start of the current plague, I re-read my favorite Pern book, Moreta, as well as Nerilka. After that I read all of the Talent books. Then I read the first three Ship books, but got stuck in the middle of The City Who Fought...
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Thank heavens for such a prolific author. When ever I get mad, disgusted, sad, I fly to my bookcase and take turns reading the different series. Going to those other lands soothes me and gets me back on track. I read the series that helps that particular mood. I wonder if Anne ever realized how many lives she touched and helped. As I reread, she is still with me.