Old favorites (formerly Agatha Christie)

Come here to discuss other authors whose works you enjoy!
Lady Pendragon

Re: Old favorites (formerly Agatha Christie)

Post by Lady Pendragon » Sat May 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier is one of my favourite oldies, along with Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:11 pm

I like Miss Marple better than Poirot. He is so self-satisfied. Have all of Nevil Shute's books. Love them. On the Beach is very sad. Like D.E. Stevenson's books about England.

McCarron2

Post by McCarron2 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:03 am

I like Miss Marple better than Poirot. He is so self-satisfied. Good mystery by John Sanford in his Prey novels. Has an off-shoot with Virgil Flowers that is also great. Don't like his others. I think he won a Pulitzer prize.

granath

Post by granath » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:51 am

Poirot's vanity gets to me a bit too, but I must admit that Miss Marple's excessive humility and her self-deprecating manner bothers me even more.
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

granath

Post by granath » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Terry Pratchett is always good for a laugh. I'm re-reading them and just finished Wyrd Sisters.
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:19 am

I just reread one of my absolute favorites, "The Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon. Technically it's a trilogy, but I have the omnibus volume so it's all one book to me... A lot of my rereads are racing through, but this is one book I force myself to slow down and savor.

Mausey
AMCF Host

Post by Mausey » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:31 pm

I haven't reread those in years and miss Paks. There are so many good news books that some of the old favourites sort of get ignored.
:( Another series I find I go back to a lot now is John Ringo and the Black Tide Rising (zombie apocalypse) series. In some ways it's a bit far-fetched but in others it's a bit frightening. A man made disease that kills off the higher brain functions of us top of the line primates. Knowing there are some serious nut cases out there, and that some play with deadly viruses is the frightening bit.
A room without books is as a body without a soul - Cicero