How advantagous is the Ballybran Symbiont

Read a book chosen by the group, then participate in a group discussion.
Simon
Site Admin

How advantagous is the Ballybran Symbiont

Post by Simon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:56 pm

P'ter noticed this within the first book.
In chapter 6 of 'Killashandra' she spots Keborgen's sled before it crashes. When she goes out with the wrecker they go '40 clicks' to reach it.

Now, she may have altered vision but she'd be hard put to spot a sled at that distance when we are informed that they are small enough to be kept on storage racks; and, surely, the planet's curvature would make it impossible?
For discussion:

With the information provided in the book do we think this feat is possible? Are there any other examples of events that happen that make you go 'oh really???' even with enhancements that the symbiont provides?
Cheers

Simon!

granath

Re: How advantagous is the Ballybran Symbiont

Post by granath » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:00 pm

All the drab chromatics suddenly springing to bright primary colors seems a bit unlikely to me. Assuming visual acuity for a typical singer approaches that of an eagle, I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility. A golden eagle can see a mouse from 2 miles (3.2 kilometers) away, and that on ground that doesn't give high contrast to the mouse's fur. A sled is much larger than a mouse, and it would show up against the sky, assuming it was flying high enough for the curvature of the planet (or the topography of hills in the ranges) wouldn't be an obstacle.
Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:24 pm

On the subject of the original question, I think it would be easily possible. Dover to Calais is about 33Km and on a good day you can just about make out Calais from the Cliffs of Dover and vice versa. Assuming that distance viewing is an enhancement that you get from the symbiont I think her feat is reasonably achievable.

I agree with granath on the colours though, unless that colour was already present I don't see how a chromatic colour can change, just from enhanced viewing.
Cheers

Simon!

Cosmic

Post by Cosmic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:16 pm

My understanding of the physics of sight and colour vision makes me think that the enhanced vision must allow 'colours' outside the normal spectrum of light to be seen e.g. seeing infra red or ultra violet 'colours' in addition to the usual ones. Some other animals are able to do at least one of these, so it is possible. I've seen images of how some flowers are meant to look to insects who can see in U.V. wave lengths and it is totally different to how we can see it with our eyes. These are 'colours' that are present, but can't be seen using the wave lengths of light that our eyes can process.
"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill." Barbara Tuchman

granath

Post by granath » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 am

Yeah, I think that must be right.

One thing I've never been able to understand is how the non-singers on Ballybran live so long, when singing is supposed to be necessary to rejuvenate the symbiont of singers?
Decaf coffee is an oxymoron. Instant coffee is an abomination. Give me the real thing and nobody gets hurt. :twisted:

R'zil

Post by R'zil » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 am

granath wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 am

One thing I've never been able to understand is how the non-singers on Ballybran live so long, when singing is supposed to be necessary to rejuvenate the symbiont of singers?
Excellent question, I had never considered that. Could it have something to do with the fact that they never leave the planet and singers often leave for up to a year or more?
As for the enhanced eyesight I would lean to the idea COS offered about seeing more than the normal spectrum that everyone else sees allowing the increase in depth and range of colors.
"Always do right- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:32 pm

I don't think singing crystal itself is what rejuvenates the symbiont after being off planet. It's simply that the spore needs to be back in its own ecosystem. Those who never leave never put their symbiont through that stress.

P'ter

Post by P'ter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:39 am

We are told that everybody living on Ballybran has undergone the invasion by the symbiote, but that the degree and variety of adaption varies.

granath

Post by granath » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 am

R'zil wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:29 am
granath wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 am

Excellent question, I had never considered that. Could it have something to do with the fact that they never leave the planet and singers often leave for up to a year or more?
As for the enhanced eyesight I would lean to the idea COS offered about seeing more than the normal spectrum that everyone else sees allowing the increase in depth and range of colors.
Yeah, not leaving the planet probably has something to do with it...